Volume License Key (VLK) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Last night I received notification of an upgrade to windows media player. So duly clicked on the relevant button and did the install.

Today I decided to look at a media file and was directed to the validation process were I find out that the Windows XP Pro that I am using is possibly not genuine. I am not able to confirm the license key for the windows because I purchased the machine second hand with the software pre-installed. The company where the machine came from may have had a Volume License Key (VLK) agreement. However something more sinister is that the VLK is in a blocked batch.

This suggests that I may be in receipt of a stolen computer as well as having non genuine XP Pro, a situation that I am not very happy with.

There is not a label with the license key number attached to the computer and no way of identifying the license key because the machine came without any supporting software or documentation.

I am feeling very vulnerable at the moment because I would never purchase any stolen goods and do not subscribe to piracy in any way shape or form. What is particularly annoying is that I do not have a very large income and I am very careful with what I spend on computers, as I am not able to afford cutting edge machines. Therefore I am reliant upon secondhand goods.

Should I approach the original company where the machine came from to find out if they have had any thefts? If so let them know I am going to report to the police and the reason why?

What do I do? I am in a bit of a spin because the machine in question is 600mgh and old technology.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yolk46

Saturday, December 30, 2006 1:51 PM

Answers

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:28 PM
    Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:53 PM

All replies

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:28 PM
    Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:53 PM
  • Hi Carey Frisch

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my concerns. I am going to purchase an up to date licence for windows. However I will have to save up for a few weeks before I can afford do this.

A couple of questions:

Is there any time limit on how much longer this offer will last?

Will the upgrade be XP Pro which is the OS I am currently using or will it be XP Home Edition?

During the validation process there was mention of theft. Is it possible the machine is a stolen machine and that is why the licence key was blocked?

The company who owned the machine is a local company and I am considering phoning them after the holidays to set my mind at rest. The machine was used by the MD of the company so it should be quite easy to contact and speak with him.

Kind regards

yolk46

• Proposed as answer by Ismail2004 Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:08 PM
    Monday, January 1, 2007 6:12 PM
  •  Yolk46 wrote:

Hi Carey Frisch

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my concerns. I am going to purchase an up to date licence for windows. However I will have to save up for a few weeks before I can afford do this.

A couple of questions:

Is there any time limit on how much longer this offer will last?

Will the upgrade be XP Pro which is the OS I am currently using or will it be XP Home Edition?

During the validation process there was mention of theft. Is it possible the machine is a stolen machine and that is why the licence key was blocked?

The company who owned the machine is a local company and I am considering phoning them after the holidays to set my mind at rest. The machine was used by the MD of the company so it should be quite easy to contact and speak with him.

Kind regards

yolk46

Answers:

1.  To my knowledge, there has been no announced expiration of the WGA offer to acquire a genuine Windows XP license.

2.  Since you are currently running a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional, the WGA offer will be for Windows XP Professional.

3.  I doubt the computer itself was stolen, however, the Windows XP volume license should have been removed before the computer was sold.  The volume license belongs to the company that purchased it and cannot be transferred outside the company.

Monday, January 1, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Thank you for your information. The answers have been very helpful.

I appreciate that the OS should have been removed before the machine was sold and that I am responsible for ensuring that I am using genuine software. Rest assured this will be rectified as soon as I am able to afford the purchase.

Would it be possible for Microsoft to highlight this to their business customers as a matter of course in the EULU? For instance a paragraph to the effect that:

"This software is licensed to your company only and is not to be sold, rented or otherwise used outside of your businesses requirements. Selling any hardware with this software installed constitutes a breach of this license agreement and may cause Microsoft to recover any costs associated with providing genuine software as a result of your breach of this contract".

It would seem that business customers are selling their old hardware with the OS intact and the onus is falling on Microsoft to sort out the problems. The principal issue being that the home user has purchased such machines and fallen foul of Microsoft's efforts to tackle software piracy.

Piracy in whatever form it takes is a completely different issue to the innocent home user acquiring a computer in good faith with software that they should not be using because "A.N.Other" company has sold their old machines.

Monday, January 1, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Hi Carey Frisch

I would like to take this opportunity to thank-you for your reply to my original concerns regarding the VLK License and possible theft of the computer I am using. All issues have been resolved and funnily enough the company the machine came from, disposed of the computer at the local dump. The MD of the company was not aware that the operating system should have been removed. However he advised that labels were attached to the machine identifying the machine type etc. The labels he attached were still stuck to the machine. It was the same computer I purchased for a very reasonable price at a later date.

Also today I purchased a valid operating system under the Windows Genuine Advantage offer currently being run by Microsoft. Therefore I am now happy that my machine complies with the Microsoft licensing conditions and theoretically all issues with the VLK License should now be cleared up.

Once again thank-you for your original assistance and links so that I could sort out my situation.

Kind regards

yolk46

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:40 PM