Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• I have used Money for many years. I am not sure if it is Money2005 or Money Plus, as I was thinking I have to reload in 2014 which foreced me to Plus.  

Within the last month money said I did not close the file correctly.  I tried to restore from the last backup file and error came back that I needed to repair the file, the file repair will not run and it throws an error that money has to close. as it stopped working  My biggest concern is that I can open the file and make changes but the extension is not ".mny" it has become ".tmp" with a strange number instead of "my money".  Even when I try to save the file it will save as ".mbf" but can not open or change the name.  I have tried looking at a couple of the suggestions I have found but they don't work.  The file was kept on a flash drive along with the software that way I could/can work the file on multiple computers.  Not sure what has transpired but very concerned about the possible loss of all my information and balances, I have not/do not use the online for the banks.  Do I need to convert to Quicken?

Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:59 PM

All replies

• It sound like your Money.mny file was somehow corrupted.  I would first try opening a backup file from before the time that the problem occurred.  Review your backup procedures to be sure that you have more than one backup and have copies of your files on different media in case there is a problem with the flash drive.

Another possibility is that the Money installation is corrupt.  I would try opening the Sample.mny file, usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus and see if it behaves properly.  If not reinstall Money.

Finally, have you upgraded to Windows 10?  If so, you should replace your mnyob99.dll file with a patched copy.  See the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

In fact, it's a good idea to do this even if you are still on Windows 7 or 8, but it necessary to run without problems on Windows 10.

Please let us know if any of this helps.

Bill Becker

Monday, November 23, 2015 2:20 AM