none
My Certification Path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone;

I am currently looking at undertaking MS Certification. I recently acquired a set of Self-Paced Study for the following:

• MCITP: Enterprise Administrator Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647
    • MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-685): Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
    • MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7

I have been hearing that some of these will be retired and that I will not be able to obtain these. I have been currently study for the 70-640 as my first exam then progress from there. What should I do?

What would be my best course of action?

Thanks for you advice.

Matthew

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:59 AM

Answers

• The MCITP title as a whole is being transitioned over to MCSA and MCSE.

Of the exams you mentioned, the only two that are retiring are 70-643 and 70-647. Both will retire in July of this year.

Do what you want, that isn't to say the material in those books are obsolete - because they aren't. Good material can be found in both. But if you are going strictly for certifications then don't waste your time on either of those. IMO you should take the 70-640, 70-642 then the 70-646, that will give you the MCSA Server 2008. From there if you choose you can take the upgrade exams for Server 2012. Oh, and those desktop exams would be good to take as well because Windows 7 is going to be around for a long time.

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Hi Mckinnon81,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the advice that Terahertz gave you since it makes perfect sense.

Additionally, I would like to add one warning. If the training kits you're using for the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 exams are from Microsoft Press, then please ensure that you are using the 2nd editions (R2 editions) and not the originals.

The first editions of these books were designed for the old version of the exams which were based on Windows Server 2008. The 2nd editions (R2 editions) are designed for the new exams which are based on Windows Server 2008 R2.

More generally, any training materials that you use (whether Microsoft or not) should be based on Server 2008 R2, and not Server 2008, since R2 contains new features and enhancements not found in Server 2008. You will be tested on these in the exam.

With that warning given, I wish you happy studying, and every success with your certifications.

James

Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:13 AM

All replies

• The MCITP title as a whole is being transitioned over to MCSA and MCSE.

Of the exams you mentioned, the only two that are retiring are 70-643 and 70-647. Both will retire in July of this year.

Do what you want, that isn't to say the material in those books are obsolete - because they aren't. Good material can be found in both. But if you are going strictly for certifications then don't waste your time on either of those. IMO you should take the 70-640, 70-642 then the 70-646, that will give you the MCSA Server 2008. From there if you choose you can take the upgrade exams for Server 2012. Oh, and those desktop exams would be good to take as well because Windows 7 is going to be around for a long time.

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Hi Mckinnon81,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the advice that Terahertz gave you since it makes perfect sense.

Additionally, I would like to add one warning. If the training kits you're using for the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 exams are from Microsoft Press, then please ensure that you are using the 2nd editions (R2 editions) and not the originals.

The first editions of these books were designed for the old version of the exams which were based on Windows Server 2008. The 2nd editions (R2 editions) are designed for the new exams which are based on Windows Server 2008 R2.

More generally, any training materials that you use (whether Microsoft or not) should be based on Server 2008 R2, and not Server 2008, since R2 contains new features and enhancements not found in Server 2008. You will be tested on these in the exam.

With that warning given, I wish you happy studying, and every success with your certifications.

James

Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:13 AM
  • i guess your looking for me
    Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:30 AM