Centralized back up on 3 pc's RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can i use centralized back up for the three computers in my circle even if they are on seperate networks?
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:21 PM

Answers

• No, the PCs must be located on the same local LAN segment in order to use Centralized backup.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:55 PM

All replies

• No, the PCs must be located on the same local LAN segment in order to use Centralized backup.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:55 PM
  • (1)But Mr Stephen consider this. Whether my own individual Online Centralized Backups (or 4.5ActiveSyncing my cellular modemed laptop plus MDA Windows t-Mobile6 or 5 Pocket PCphone) is allowed to transfer (pops-Outlooks-webMails, profile, Files & Settings Transfer Wizard, multi-media, and etc) for backups to my centralized desktop pc. Couldn't some type of OneCare backup funtion for compiled files upon that one computer without OneCare connecting to the cellular modemed laptops or pocketPCphones?

(2)More other guessing, what about Virtual Private Networks; couldn't OneCare backup the central PC's files without involving the member PCs?

PS:If none of this can function, why not or what is the technical limitation?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:35 AM
  • There's OneCare backup for *each* PC and there's OneCare Centralized backup for a OneCare Circle.

To backup files from any PC, you configure backup for that PC to back files up *from* that PC to any destination that is supported for backup, which must be local to that PC. Yes, there are VPN solutions that would allow a network Share to appear to be local to OneCare, but that's an unusual configuration and would be unsupported even if it works.

To use Centralized Backup, the backup destination is defined on a Hub PC within the Circle. A Circle consists of all PCs subscribed with the same LiveID. That destination must be locally accessible to each PC in the Circle when backup runs. So, a PC at a remote location, not on the local LAN, can't backup to an external hard drive or network Share on the LAN where the hub resides.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what your Windows Mobile devices have to do with it, except that if the data on those devices is being synchronized to your PC now, that data can be backed up. The laptop that isn't on the network when it is directly connected to the Internet via a cellular modem can't use the backup destination that resides on your local LAN. Any devices synchronizing with that laptop aren't putting data on the local LAN, so it can't be backed up to the Central backup location when the laptop is off of the local LAN.

If you wish to keep data in sync between your laptop and desktop, residing on different networks, and have OneCare backup the data from the desktop to a backup destination, look at Live Mesh or Windows Live FolderShare which are both in beta, but can sync folders of data between devices.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:05 PM