Problems with Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I still have 4 months to go on my subscription to Windows Live One Care.  I have a HP Media Center Athlon dual core 4200 running Windows XP Media Center.  I recently added two additional gigabites of RAM and wiped my hard drive because the computer took 8 minutes to boot up (no viruses or spyware according to One Care and Webroot Spy Sweeper).  I had to download Windows live One Care again and discovered that it is seems to be crashing the computer and that M/S no longer is promoting it but is promoting a free Microsoft Essentials antivirus and malware program.

The question is should I just delete (if I can; many things including the software removal tool in the control panel no longer seem to be working) and switch to the new Microsoft software?  Also - was the slowness due to the live One Care Program and is that why M/S no longer promotes it?

Thanks for considering the questions.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:08 AM

Answers

• Switching to MSE would be a reasonable choice, but it is up to you as your OneCare subscription has not expired.
    The slowness and crashing that you are experiencing may have nothing to do with the software and everything to do with failing hardware or bad drivers. On the other hand, you really should not be running Webroot and OneCare (or MSE) if WebRoot is including real-time protection, which I believe it is. Having more than one engine/service scanning every file and process on access in real-time can lead to performance issues, system instability and even cause the security to be reduced on the PC due to the conflict.
    I don't know what you mean by "software removal tool" in Control Panel. In XP, it is Add or Remove Programs. If that isn't working, there are certainly issues with the PC.
    You can use the OneCare cleanup tool -  http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/ - to remove OneCare, but that doesn't address the core issue and I suspect that the PC will continue to crash as it sounds like your issues are greater than potentially conflicting security software.
    Microsoft has not stated why they ended OneCare development and sale, but it wasn't due to slowness. In normal use, OneCare does not slow down a system at all unless the PC specs are marginal and then anything will cause it to run slowly.
    I would not be installing new software until you resolve the core issue with Windows. I'd also remove WebRoot before OneCare so that you actually have security software in place as you troubleshoot the issue. You'll need to remove both programs if you decide to use MSE.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:29 PM