Parent - Child owership and sharing question RRS feed

• Question

• Parent - Child record ownership and sharing 

User A creates and owns the Parent Record A1.  User A is a manager for User B. 

User B can create Child record "A1-B1" for that Record A1

User B can create Child "A1-B2"...  Such that only user B can create child records for a given Parent Record. <Possibly User A can  share the Parent Record A1 only with User B>

That user should be able to update the child or even delete the child as long as it is not in "de-active" state.  

However, He/she should not be able to de-activate the child record (even though he can create/update. But, Parent Record owner can deactivate the record.

Once the child record is de-activated, User B can only view the record. 

How could I achieve the above?

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 11:59 PM

All replies

• This a guess but maybe use FLS on status attribute of Record type B and don't give him update access to that attribute. This might solve what you are asking for.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Most of your scenarios are related to security settings.  Whether User A/ B can perform an action depends on what Access Level for those privileges the User A/B has and whether User A and User B are in the same Business Unit or in the Parent Child Business Units.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb955123.aspx

User B can create Child record "A1-B1" for that Record A1.  <-- This depends on what Access Levels of Append* and AppendTo* privileges for that entity the User B has.
    Possibly User A can share the Parent Record A1 only with User B <-- This depends on what Access Level of Share privilege for that entity the User A has.
    That user should be able to update the child  or even delete the child as long as it is not in "de-active" state.  <-- This depends on what Access Level of Write privilege for that entity the User has.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Hi Mike thanks for your response. I appreciate it. Append and Append to - could you please explain a scenario and how does it control access.  

User B can create Child record "A1-B1" for that Record A1.  <-- This depends on what Access Levels of Append* and AppendTo* privileges for that entity the User B has.

If user B has Business Unit level access on that Entity for Append and Append to, I want to understand the impact. 

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:38 AM
  • I could try FLS on status Reason attribute 
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:39 AM