"Nework At Risk: There Are File Conflicts" - but with whom? RRS feed

• Question

• Periodically my WHS box throws this notification.

viz: http://tinyurl.com/23sj2mt

But it doesn't tell me anything useful - like who wants it.

I know who has it: the file in question is in use 24-7 by a sort of Tivo-On-Steriods application that runs as a service.

But I only get the message sometimes, not every day.

Seems like somebody wants it - but only sometimes.

I've been through the various event logs (System, Application...and so-forth), but haven't found anything.  

I'm guessing it's there... but I'm just missing it.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:37 AM

All replies

• It's probably WHS health check (qsm, storage manager). Best thing would be to keep application files outside WHS shares (if possible). you could also try creating a separate share for which duplication has been disabled.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:25 AM
  • It's probably WHS health check (qsm, storage manager). Best thing would be to keep application files outside WHS shares (if possible). you could also try creating a separate share for which duplication has been disabled.

Creating a separate share without duplication doesn't help in this situation; Drive Extender still needs to be able to access the file, which isn't possible as long as it's locked by another program.

Pete, you should add a disk to your server, but don't add it to your storage pool. Then put everything for your "TiVo on steroids" applicaiton on that disk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Creating a separate share without duplication doesn't help in this situation; Drive Extender still needs to be able to access the file, which isn't possible as long as it's locked by another program.

Pete, you should add a disk to your server, but don't add it to your storage pool. Then put everything for your "TiVo on steroids" applicaiton on that disk.

I think it's qsm and not demigrator which is causing the problem (otherwise I would expect hourly error). I agree putting these files outside WHS shares would be the best thing to do as I already suggested, however I think with non-duplicated share you will not get the file conflict error (not 100 % sure though)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:38 PM
  • … (not 100 % sure though)

I am. :)

I have a book/CD/DVD database which I tried placing in a non-duplicated share several years ago. You still get alerts every day because the file isn't accessible.

Note: my final solution to this was to put the database in a duplicated share (because I want it protected), then create a pair of scheduled tasks to shut the database service down completely for two hours every morning and then restart it (3:00 AM to 5:00 AM, IIRC). It's worked for years. The whole issue goes away with Vail, though. :)

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:07 PM