Recovering from virus and reinstall of WIndows and Office RRS feed

• Question

• My wife's XP machine was so messed up with a virus I ended up installing Windows 7 on it as a fresh install. That install went fine, but when I tried to reinstall the Office Pro Plus 2010 it won't activate and said the product key is not valid.... It was installed before on this machine, so how can the key be invalid?
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:00 AM

Answers

• "ChuckieBB" wrote in message news:8efb2c7c-eb7f-4db8-ac81-8de9c4c2874e...
    My wife's XP machine was so messed up with a virus I ended up installing Windows 7 on it as a fresh install. That install went fine, but when I tried to reinstall the Office Pro Plus 2010 it won't activate and said the product key is not valid.... It was installed before on this machine, so how can the key be invalid?

Office Pro Plus is only sold in bulk to businesses for use on their own machines (or through the HUP program) - If you bought this 'retail you were sold a counterfeit.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:22 AM

All replies

• "ChuckieBB" wrote in message news:8efb2c7c-eb7f-4db8-ac81-8de9c4c2874e...
    My wife's XP machine was so messed up with a virus I ended up installing Windows 7 on it as a fresh install. That install went fine, but when I tried to reinstall the Office Pro Plus 2010 it won't activate and said the product key is not valid.... It was installed before on this machine, so how can the key be invalid?

Office Pro Plus is only sold in bulk to businesses for use on their own machines (or through the HUP program) - If you bought this 'retail you were sold a counterfeit.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:22 AM
  • Wonderful, I guess it is time to go shopping. Is it only the PLUS version that is like this? Is it OK to assume any sealed Office Professional 2010 is  "regular retail"?
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Office 2010 suites are all full license editions (no more upgrades for Office).  Avoid "Plus" and "Enterprise".  Avoid OEM.  Do not buy on eBay, the Amazon Marketplace, or other discount website.  There are a lot of counterfeit copies, mostly volume license copies like the one you already have.  Buy from the Microsoft Store or Amazon Corp.  If you have more than one computer and don't need Outlook for email, I suggest Home and Student (three licenses).  If you need Outlook for some reason, I recommend Home and Office.  Most consumers do not need Professional.  Word and Excel are far and away the most used.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:13 AM
    Answerer