Notice: Please do not add EML or NWS files to Live Mesh folders RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Live Mesh team would like to alert our customers to a synchronization scenario that can lead to constant sync activity. Saved messages and newsgroup posts from Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail (.eml and .nws files) should not be added to Live Mesh folders. Doing so will result in a loop of unending synchronization.

If you notice constant sync activity in any of your Live Mesh folders, please ensure that they do not contain files with the .eml or .nws file extensions.

Feedback

Thanks for being one of the first to use Live Mesh. We’re working hard to create the best experience and appreciate any comments you have. Please
    send us feedback using our online form. You can also submit and view others’ feedback and bugs here on the Microsoft Connect website.

Thank you,
    The Live Mesh team

Blog

Monday, December 15, 2008 9:29 PM

All replies

• What is the recommend procedure to get out of this state please? Is just renaming the file sufficient, or zipping it up, or deletion? Does MOE or the PC have to restart to get out of the state? (I seem to be in it...)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Hi,

To be safe, I'd say: Stop MOE (so you can attend to every device without Live Mesh trying to resync), remove the file(s) from all Live Mesh folders on every device in your mesh (including the Live Desktop), then restart the Live Mesh software.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Hi

Is this issue fixed ?

Regards
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hi

Is this issue fixed ?

Regards

Since the issue has not come up since, that I recall, and Live Mesh was updated a few times last year, I believe that this was fixed. Why?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:17 PM
  • So far I had only one PC (Vista) in my Mesh , and did not notice any suspect activity between the PC and the Live Desktop. A coupe of weeks ago I have added another PC (windows7) in the Mesh, sharing the same  directories. And I have noticed unusual sync activities with .eml files which are saved in some of the directories.

Thierry
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:43 PM
  • What do you mean by unusual? Are you seeing what is described above? If you remove the .eml files from the folders at all locations as advised above, does that unusual activity cease?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Yes , exactly what is described; When I switch off one the PC the line goes quiet again . I have not yet tried to follow Ben's procedure as I will need sometime to do  (unfortunately I'd used to save lot of mails). I do not know if it matters but with Window7 I'm using Live Mail , and with Vista OutlooK.

Thierry
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Thanks, Theirry. It would then seem that this was not yet addressed, unfortunately. :-(
    -steve
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I searched the Connect site and didnt find an open bug for this or reference to a known issue. It's not listed in the unsopported files list.

Not thinking that this was the place for reporting known issues and bugs I've opened a bug report (535580).

https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/details/535580/news-reporting-files-updated-when-i-havent-changed-anything-eml-issue

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Thanks for submitting the bug report. I think that the looping condition may not be an Outlook Express issue, but a Windows Live Mail issue, specific to Hotmail accounts. it probably surfaced when WebDav was replaced by DeltaSync - which is, in effect, the process whereby WLMail synchronizes the Hotmail folders. Since it is not recommended to have Live Mesh pointing to a folder that is also synchronized with another sync program, this may well be the issue. However, I'm only speculating.

Since this was posted some time back, it is probably already logged internally and not visible to us on Connect.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Glad I found this - now I know why I'm seeing this constant synching.

I do rely on Mesh to sync my WLM e-mail across 3 computers. Is there a solution or another option?

Thanks, Tom.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Glad I found this - now I know why I'm seeing this constant synching.

I do rely on Mesh to sync my WLM e-mail across 3 computers. Is there a solution or another option?

Thanks, Tom.

There's no solution to this with Live Mesh.

I don't know if it is an issue with Live Sync beta, which was released to beta last week.

See: 
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/10/coming-soon-windows-live-sync-beta.aspx

If any of your PCs are on XP, the beta isn't an option for you, but you could try the current version of Live Sync - http://sync.live.com
    -steve

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:04 PM