Managing disks from an Add-In RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a home-built WHS, with a bunch of disparate disks (some IDE, some SATA, and probably a USB disk when PP1 comes out). As has already been mentioned by several people, it's a real pain to identify which disk is which from a physical hardware perspective when you're dealing with a few identical hard drives (only the name shows in Server Storage). No blinking LEDs for us.

So I've built myself an Add-In to display information about the disks based on some WMI walking (controller name, SCSI path, WHS disk status etc). That's all good.

My question is this: are the disk management APIs exposed in WHS? Can I duplicate the add/remove/fix functionality that's on the Server Storage tab?

I don't see any mention of actually interacting with WHS components in the SDK documentation. Anyone played with this?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:27 PM

Answers

• Open up Reflector and take a look at the server storage dll and see what they are doing.  I've found that almost everything is exposed through the API's.

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/  <-- reflector

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:18 PM

All replies

• Open up Reflector and take a look at the server storage dll and see what they are doing.  I've found that almost everything is exposed through the API's.

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/  <-- reflector

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Of course, thanks Smile

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:37 PM
  • You're probably aware of this, but I will warn you that if it's not in the SDK there's no guarantee that it will be available to you in the next version of Windows Home Server.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:41 AM
  • That's kind of ominous.

I would hope that MS would continue to give us the ability to access core functionality of the product (adding and removing disks in this case).

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Quite possibly they will, but the SDK is the only "dead cert" we've got. If you use undocumented features you can't be surprised if they are removed or changed in later versions or updates Smile

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:21 AM