Onecare Live won't install on Vista 64 Ultimate system RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Does anyone know how to resolve installation issues with Onecare Live?  Each time I attempt to install it Error ID: 0018-80070643 occurs during download/install.  I have been back and forth with Onecare tech support for almost a month now and they have not been able to help.  Each suggestion they make has no effect on the problem.  I have been to the Get Help site (http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=onecarev2&querytype=keyword&query=34607008_8100_US) and followed each step exactly to no avail.  I have no idea what to try now...tech support does not respond to my emails anymore (I guess they have given up) and the web support doesn't fix my problem.

I have also attmpted to contact support through http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 but have not received any response.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:33 AM

All replies

• How are you installing? From CD or download? The error you are receiving is a generic installation error, so it may be a corrupt MSI installer.

Do you have the case ID for your support submission?

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:01 PM
  • One care doesn't seem to be all it's cut out to be on Vista Ultimate. Works fine on XP. I have ultimate 64bt too. The only way I got round it was to download and install the trial. Then go on line using my messenger account and insert the key afterwards. Seems to work fine then (for a while).

The shop version, I believe is only 1.5? where as the download gives you 2.5.

Thing is, even after the install mine has now stopped working??? We live in hope that Microsoft work on this to get it right? OTherwise Onecare will be dead in the water and users will have to revert to third party AV companies.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:54 PM
  • OneCare 1.5 from CD will not install on Vista 64 bit. The first version of OneCare that worked on Vista 64 bit was 2.0, released late in 2007. If you downloaded 2.5, that is the beta available from Microsoft Connect. The current production release is 2.0.2500.30 as seen in Help/About in OneCare.

Your solution for using the retail key on the downloaded trial is the correct solution when you hold an older retail CD.

What has stopped working in OneCare for you? What errors are you seeing and what is the status of the OneCare icon?

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I am attempting to install Onecare from teh downloaded trial.  I have never had it installed and working...I just discovered it, thought that it sounded good, downloaded the trial and tried to install it.  So, to answer your question ..."What has stopped working", I have never seen it work!  The error I get is the 0018 install error I listed in the original post.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:40 AM
  •  

I am installing from download.  They are focusing on the MSI Installer...I finally heard back from support this morning again.  My case ID is SRX10650-48781.  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:43 AM
  • As long as you are communicating with Support, we'll leave this open. Please let us know what the solution is. If communications with Support breaks down, we can use the case ID to ask for it to be looked into for you, but I remain hopeful that support can help you out.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:10 AM