Problems with remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to access my homeserver from the internet.  Even though remote access is shown as available, when I attempt to access the network, I get a logon script for the remote administration page of my DSL modem.  If remote access to the modem is enabled, I can log on to the modem using the correct username and password.  If remote administration is not enabled I receive a 403 error "forbidden".  Either way, I cannot access the Homeserver logon page.

The modem is an Actiontec GT701-WG with the latest firmware installed.  DSL provider is Qwest. I have forwarded ports 80, 443 and 4125 to the local IP address of the homeserver.

I would note that if I attempt to access the homeserver from another computer on the local network by entering the computer name in IE, I am directed to the homeserver login page and am able to use remote access.

What other steps should I take to solve this problem?

Friday, November 5, 2010 7:02 PM

All replies

• I don't know your modem, but often it is not possible to test access from the internet to the homeserver from within your network.

Did you verify that your homeserver cannot be accessed by anyone outside your local network/modem? 

Lex Breeman
    Friday, November 5, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I have checked access from computers outside my local network!  Same result.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 10:53 PM
  • You should contact your ISP (the supplier of your broadband modem, I presume) for assistance in configuring it. Possibly your modem will need to be replaced; turning off the remote administration feature should eliminate the issue you're experiencing.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 5, 2010 11:45 PM