"Unlock Computer" screen in Windows Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• Starting this last week, WHS times out after 1 or 2 hours in Windows Home Server Console and displays a WHS logon screen that states, "This computer is in use and has been locked. Only (Server)/Administrator or an administrator can unlock this computer."  I'm familiar with this environment, but not within the Console. Over the 2 years I've had WHS, I've become used to the Console having open access to WHS indefinitely (once you've opened the Console with the password).  To my knowledge, I haven't changed any settings that would cause this.  The screen saver on the WHS computer is set for "Windows Server 2003," 60 minutes, and password protect on resume.  But I don't think that's affected the Console operation in the past.

Does anyone know if there's been a recent update that changed the default behavior?  Or more importantly, does anyone know how to control it?  I don't need to have to unlock WHS multiple times a day.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:11 AM

Answers

The screen saver on the WHS computer is set for "Windows Server 2003," 60 minutes, and password protect on resume.  But I don't think that's affected the Console operation in the past.

Turn off the screen saver and see if the problem clears up.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:02 PM

All replies

The screen saver on the WHS computer is set for "Windows Server 2003," 60 minutes, and password protect on resume.  But I don't think that's affected the Console operation in the past.

Turn off the screen saver and see if the problem clears up.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Thanks, it appears to have been that simple.  I came back to add the comment that I turned the screen saver off last night and logon screen hasn't popped up since then.  So I conclude that the screen saver had never been set before, but mysteriously got turned on in the last few days.  I wonder how -- I don't think I did it, even accidentally.  Perhaps one of the two updates on June 24 set the screen saver:  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524) or Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB968930). It will be interesting to see if it happens to others.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:01 PM