Note Entity Workflow - Send email to Manager when note is added to case for Priority Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to create a workflow that sends an email to the helpdesk senior manager when a CRM User adds a note to a case that is for a Priority Client. We have a custom field in the Contact name Priority and it is a yes or no field. How can one accomplish that?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Hans Lima Friday, November 1, 2013 2:49 AM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 2:48 AM

Answers

• You are looking to access 2nd level entity information i.e. Note --> Case --> Customer --> Priority which is not available through the OOB workflow designer.

You could either write a custom workflow assembly that does the 2 level navigation and sends the mail or a code-less option could be

1. Add an attribute on Case that would be updated through Script or Workflow to indicate if the customer is a priority client.

2. Another attribute to store if note was added to the case

3. Write a workflow based on Note to check if note has been added against a case. If yes update the regarding case Note added attribute of step 2 to True.

4. Have another workflow on Case that fires on change of attribute from step 2

5. IF attrib value true and priority client - send the email. reset the field value to false for next update evaluation. You can even avoid the attribute of step 1 and look for regarding Customer nd choose the priority client attrib

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Hans Lima Friday, November 1, 2013 10:23 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 3:41 AM

All replies

• You are looking to access 2nd level entity information i.e. Note --> Case --> Customer --> Priority which is not available through the OOB workflow designer.

You could either write a custom workflow assembly that does the 2 level navigation and sends the mail or a code-less option could be

1. Add an attribute on Case that would be updated through Script or Workflow to indicate if the customer is a priority client.

2. Another attribute to store if note was added to the case

3. Write a workflow based on Note to check if note has been added against a case. If yes update the regarding case Note added attribute of step 2 to True.

4. Have another workflow on Case that fires on change of attribute from step 2

5. IF attrib value true and priority client - send the email. reset the field value to false for next update evaluation. You can even avoid the attribute of step 1 and look for regarding Customer nd choose the priority client attrib

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Hans Lima Friday, November 1, 2013 10:23 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Hi Sam,

You nailed it! I am looking to access 2nd level entity information. I'll follow your recommendations and report back on how I set it up. Thank you for your quick reply.

Hans

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 1, 2013 4:22 PM
  • I created a Text Case Field named Tracker.

I already have a workflow that is associated to the Case Entity, which sends an email to the Senior Helpdesk Manager when a case is created for a Priority Client. I added a step to update the Tracker field with Yes when it is for a priority client.

In the Note workflow I added a check condition: If Regarding (Case):Status equals [Active] AND [Regarding (Case):Tracker equals [Yes]]/, then:

Send Email

It works great! Thank you for your help in providing an easy solution to implement.

Friday, November 1, 2013 10:23 PM