What is the latest build of live Writer

• Hi

I still use Live Writer against my WordPress blog .  I have couple of questions

- What is the latest build and is there a quick way to update my install without nuking my various draft posts

- one thing live writer lacks is up to date addons as compared to WordPress - would be great to have some short codes etc as you see in the WordPress advanced MCE editor.

- given that live writer is not being developed I wonder what the alternatives everyone is going for either as windows or mac gui or even some slick cloud option....

Monday, March 03, 2014 2:21 PM

All replies

• Last time I heard a metro style app was being developed, alternatives there are not many, and the ones that are updated have no addons and have very few features.

An alternative might be to use wordpress official android app where you should have the whole android way of sharing things and include stuff into posts but that's about it. A lot of open source projects died possibly because people just write stuff from web based editors, but if you want to keep stuff organized those are not the places to look at.

Another reason is that there are many ways to send posts, with a bit of tweaking you can post and edit/update posts with any text editor and you email the content to wordpress and it will read as you tell it to do it, you can pretty much manage posts for example from evernote and once you have to publish you just send via email and you can substitute wlw addons with web browser apps/addons creating your own writing ambient.

That's a lot of tweaking tough, and having a good windows app that does it with a good pool of updated addons that ease the inclusion of the content you need would be the best solution anyway I suppose. There is no real alternative to wlw, and keeping it updated with the whole pool of plugins is a good deal of work.

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hi

Yes I thought this would be the case.  A Metro App sounds nice but I would need to tweak it so it doesn't open up full screen. In my opinion, Live writer should really be donated to Codeplex and be maintained by the community.

I guess it does work but is not the best.  Perhaps someone might want to create a post with the 10 most useful addons for Live Write.  Also, it occurred to me that as a community we could write a short code inserter with  a xml file ( in the style of Eclipse) for each plugin on wordpres. The alternative would be to use a FireFox plugins such as and  but to be honest they don't look polished enough for me and I wonder how many are used in anger.

Interesting to hear your thoughts.

Friday, March 21, 2014 3:28 PM