All in One when setting up my wireless system gave me a network key that is 26 characters long RRS feed

• Question

•  

That is 16 to many. So says the Lynksys interface when I try to get connected to my wireless network. It says I can only type up to 10 characters for the network key.

My set up is one direct connected computer. One wireless printer which is working fine. One wireless laptop that which I can't get it to connect.

When installing live one it gave me the ssid, network key, and encyption type. I printed it out because it said it was important to do so. Well again, the given codes don't work.

Need help!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:27 AM

Answers

• In the wireless connection interface for your laptop, you need to select 128 bit WEP and Hex for the key type if your key provided is 26 characters long. 10 characters is 40/64 bit WEP and a key type of ASCII.

Have you considered using the wizard in OneCare to add the PC?

If you used Windows Live OneCare to help secure a wireless network, you can automatically add another computer or device to the network.
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, open OneCare, and then click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click the wireless network that you want to add the computer to, and then click Details.
    4. Click Add a PC, and then follow the steps in the wizard.

Since you state that the printer is working fine wirelessly, did you configure it manually with the 26 character encryption key?

Note that you can contact support for help with setting this up.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:29 PM