Definition of "real-time scanning" for OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  

Since before OneCare, before running or opening downloaded or emailed files, I'd right-click on them and select "Scan for viruses...".

I understand that OneCare performs virus scans and spyware scans in real-time, but I haven't been able to find the specifics of what that means for OneCare.

Does OneCare scan each file as it's downloaded or received in email?  Alternatively, does it scan all executable files before running them and scan all data files before opening them?

Is it possible to download a file and run it before OneCare has finished scanning it?  If it is, then I'll continue to right-click on the files and select "Scan for viruses...".

Thanks.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:26 AM

Answers

• "real time" scanning means that any executable code is checked before being allowed to execute. It also includes opening files that are saved to disk. Inbound emails are not checked. However, if you attempt to launch an attachment, it is scanned. If the email has active content that attempts to run on viewing, that action is also 'scanned" before being allowed to proceed.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:37 PM

All replies

• "real time" scanning means that any executable code is checked before being allowed to execute. It also includes opening files that are saved to disk. Inbound emails are not checked. However, if you attempt to launch an attachment, it is scanned. If the email has active content that attempts to run on viewing, that action is also 'scanned" before being allowed to proceed.
    -steve
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:37 PM
  •  And I'll add that for extra safety, saving a file to disk and right clicking to scan it first is a good practice.
    -steve
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:38 PM