none
Considerable Confusion and Apprehension with versions of Windows 7 Ultimate RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had purchased a PC in 2011 which included Windows 7 Ultimate. At some point in time, it became necessary to replace my PC's motherboard which initiated the process of reactivation. The process was flawless and my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate became Genuine once again.

Simultaneously when attempting to ascertain the procedure for telephone reactivation, it became essential to provide Microsoft Tech Support, the product key and product I.D. This helped to identify both the validity of my product but also the product type which was OEM at that time.

Nearly two weeks ago, I installed an SSD Drive and migrated my OS to the new drive. The process was transparent and I even received notification from Microsoft that my migration was successful! My PC had a legal (Genuine) copy of Windows 7.

Now, after running Microsoft Security Essentials, I received the notice that my copy of Windows is not Genuine! The Product Key was also blocked. After checking with Microsoft Tech Support, my copy of Windows 7 was identified as part of an MSDN Subscription, even though Tech Support previously identified the product as OEM. Why the two different scenarios?

Being told multiple scenarios or descriptions of what I purchased is not comforting and does  increase my perception of the credibility of the vendor. I paid the rasom and purchased a "Legal Copy - ha!) from Microsoft directly. My PC once again has a "Genuine" copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

The entire series of events was discomforting in as much as my time was consumed and I had to spend money for something which worked well at one time (Valid Copy) but overnight became a thorn in my side (Not A Valid Copy)! If I had not installed an SSD drive, I probably would be working with my old/original Genuine Copy of Windows 7 ultimate.

I believe it's essential for someone at Microsoft to oversee this process to validate the steps and/or methodology of determing what is a Genuine copy vs. something invalid. The Internet has over 30,000 posting relating to installation of an SSD Drive and no longer valid copy of Windows 7. Sure, there are illegal copies flooding the market, but why/how could I operate the origianl OS for nearly two years without any problems? I believe the process of identifying Genuine copies of Windows 7 is faulty.

Is it the "day of the week" or a particular technician (flipping a coin) who determines what is valid and what is an illegal copy?

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 6:42 PM

All replies

• perhaps this will help explain:

For MSDN Keys:-

MS can only act once a key hits a threshold (and they won't tell an outsider what that threshold is, understandably). They then have to put it through internal systems to ensure that all relevant parties are informed, just in case it's an oversight - then it enters the queue for the next update to the system. I have no idea how often the WAT checking system is updated, but I would suspect that it's no more than weekly because of admin and timing issues. The internal MS processes could therefore take easily a couple of weeks.

It therefore depends on how close to the end of a vendors sales list you are, and how quickly he's selling them.

The cannier ones will sell just enough to stay under the threshold for each product (MSDN subs include a huge number of products), until they've maximised the profits, then try and flood the market before disappearing into the sunset, laden with your cash. This could take anything up to a year or more.

see this for purchasing advice:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/309bb621-92d5-43d6-98c1-2bb51b35607f

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:33 PM
    Answerer