lookup in crm plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Crm 2013 on premises

I have a custom entity that has a lookup field (new_licence ) to accounts. I am trying to write a plugin to export data when a record is created for a legacy system

how can i get the 'txt value' of 'new_licence' inside the plugin

This plugin is being written in vb.net

Dont ask me .. i dont know

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Vikram,Thank you for your help.  I have tried the following code but when testing the plugin i get a Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.InvalidPluginExecutionException' was thrown error

Dim strLicence As String = String.Empty
                        If entity.Contains("new_licence") Then
                            Dim Account As EntityReference = CType(entity.Attributes("new_licence"), EntityReference)
                            strLicence = Account.Name
                        End If
                    Throw New InvalidPluginExecutionException(strLicence)

The pluging is being executed on a record create on a custom entity 'new_OAccounts' . the new_licence field is a lookup to accounts.  hope that makes sense. Also whilst you are being so kind, I have  several 'two option ' fields that i will need to get the value from.

• Marked as answer by Pete Newman Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:32 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 3:10 PM

All replies

• string Name=((EntityReference)entity.Attributes["new_licence"]).Name;

Hope this helps. If you get answer of your question, please mark the response as an answer and vote as helpful !!!
    Vikram Singh. !!!  My Blog

• Edited by _Vikram Monday, November 25, 2013 2:41 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hi Vikram,

Forgive my ignorance, but what would that be in vb.net, and would EntityReference be accounts ?

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Try this :

Dim Account As EntityReference = CType(entity.Attributes("new_licence"), EntityReference)

Dim Name As  String =Account.Name

Hope this helps. If you get answer of your question, please mark the response as an answer and vote as helpful !!!

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hi Vikram,Thank you for your help.  I have tried the following code but when testing the plugin i get a Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.InvalidPluginExecutionException' was thrown error

Dim strLicence As String = String.Empty
                        If entity.Contains("new_licence") Then
                            strLicence = Account.Name
                        End If
                    Throw New InvalidPluginExecutionException(strLicence)

The pluging is being executed on a record create on a custom entity 'new_OAccounts' . the new_licence field is a lookup to accounts.  hope that makes sense. Also whilst you are being so kind, I have  several 'two option ' fields that i will need to get the value from.

• Marked as answer by Pete Newman Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:32 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Please try to debug your plugin and see which line of code failing.

Monday, November 25, 2013 3:24 PM