Power Pack 1 - Migrating existing backed up files to new backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I presently have a two 500gb hard drives in the classic WHS configuration, with all the shared folders backed up. Will Power Pack 1 automatically give me the option to migrate my backed up files to the new, more sensible, backup configuration? Or will I have to remove, format and reconfigure the secondary drive?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:24 AM

Answers

• Joe, if I understand correctly, you currently have a server which has two 500 GB disks, both in the storage pool (one is the system disk, one a secondary storage pool disk). You can install Power Pack 1 on this configuration and it will continue to function correctly.

If you want to test the server share backup feature, you will need to connect an external disk drive, then (using the console) add that disk as a server backup disk. (It will be a new option in the add a disk screen.) There's no need to remove your current second disk from the server, unless you no longer wish to use share duplication. I would urge you to leave the second disk in the pool and continue to use share duplication, as it provides online, near real-time protection against loss of a drive. The server share backup feature provides offline protection only.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  

If your second hard drive fails, Windows Home Server will display the error in the Windows Home Server Console.  From there you can select in the Console to remove the drive and Windows Home Server should take care of the duplicated data.  If you only have 1 drive left, it will no longer be duplicated.  Does Power Pack 1 handle this better?  That's for you to test and let us know!  The entire purpose of the beta is for you to let us know if it does.  :-)

Remember to ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean by the new, more sensible configuration.

The facility to backup your shared folders, which is part of PP1, will only back them up to a drive which is not part of the storage pool. Therefore, you either need to remove one of your drives - which means you will have no duplication - or installing a third drive.

If you remove a drive, you are then in the position of, if that drive fails, having to rebuild your system completely, before being able to continue.

Colin

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:16 AM
  • I think you may be missing the point.

I would like to know if there is a simple alternative to the following procedure:

Uninstall (remove) existing 2nd HD

Install Power Pack

Reinstall 2nd HD

Set new back up parameters (which would be effectively the same as before) to backup in the "post" power pack 1 way.

May be a wizard that does this job for us?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Joe, if I understand correctly, you currently have a server which has two 500 GB disks, both in the storage pool (one is the system disk, one a secondary storage pool disk). You can install Power Pack 1 on this configuration and it will continue to function correctly.

If you want to test the server share backup feature, you will need to connect an external disk drive, then (using the console) add that disk as a server backup disk. (It will be a new option in the add a disk screen.) There's no need to remove your current second disk from the server, unless you no longer wish to use share duplication. I would urge you to leave the second disk in the pool and continue to use share duplication, as it provides online, near real-time protection against loss of a drive. The server share backup feature provides offline protection only.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  

Hi

Current configuration is 20gb of the first 500gb is system, the rest is storage. The pool volume extends into the second hard drive, however from previous reinstalls WHS does not save the duplicates in a straighforward, mirror image, format that enables easy reinstallation following drive failure.

My impression of the new configuration is that in the scenario that HD1 fails (with system) there willl be an easy to understand backup of the storage pool on HD2. Therefore HD1 is replaced, WHS reinstalled and shared folders copied. IF HD2 fails, replace and re-copy.

Is this correct? IF so it's much more simple that storing two copies on one volume which we have presently.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:11 PM
  •  

If your second hard drive fails, Windows Home Server will display the error in the Windows Home Server Console.  From there you can select in the Console to remove the drive and Windows Home Server should take care of the duplicated data.  If you only have 1 drive left, it will no longer be duplicated.  Does Power Pack 1 handle this better?  That's for you to test and let us know!  The entire purpose of the beta is for you to let us know if it does.  :-)

Remember to ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:22 PM
  •  joewalch wrote:
    Hi

Current configuration is 20gb of the first 500gb is system, the rest is storage. The pool volume extends into the second hard drive, however from previous reinstalls WHS does not save the duplicates in a straighforward, mirror image, format that enables easy reinstallation following drive failure.

Then there is something wrong with your WHS install.  All you have to do (pre and post PP1) is enable Folder Duplication on a share.  Once active, it will automatically duplicate every file in that share to a second hard drive (so if one drive fails, you still have that data on a second drive).  That works the same way (whether using PP1 or not).

joewalch wrote:
    My impression of the new configuration is that in the scenario that HD1 fails (with system) there willl be an easy to understand backup of the storage pool on HD2.

If Folder Duplication is enabled on every share, yes.  (Again, this is nothing new.)

joewalch wrote:
    Therefore HD1 is replaced, WHS reinstalled and shared folders copied. IF HD2 fails, replace and re-copy.

Is this correct? IF so it's much more simple that storing two copies on one volume which we have presently.

It never has been one volume (it just appears that way from the outside).

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:15 PM