Computer fell off circle and can'tr get back on RRS feed

• Question

• I had One Care running on two computers as a circle. After a problem with my router, my lap top dropped off the network. I have now corrected the issue but cannot get the lap top back on the network. The OneCare network key is 26 characters long and is using WEP128 encryption. I cannot get the router to accept the network key. On my desktop, the lap top no longer appears as part of the network. I cannot find a way to add the laptop to the network from the desktop. I am obviously missing or not seeing what I should be seeing. Any help available?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hello Mkozlow, delete the wireless conection on your laptop and you should then see a pop up in the system tray saying "Wireless networks are availabe". Find your wireless network, select "Connect" and you will then be asked to enter a network key. Enter the key  you entered on your router set up page and you should be able to connect.
    Jim
    Monday, December 22, 2008 7:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Mkozlow, delete the wireless conection on your laptop and you should then see a pop up in the system tray saying "Wireless networks are availabe". Find your wireless network, select "Connect" and you will then be asked to enter a network key. Enter the key  you entered on your router set up page and you should be able to connect.
    Jim
    Monday, December 22, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I've moved your post to the WiFi Security topic folder.
    It sounds like you may have reset the router, so it is no longer providing the secure connection that OneCare configured for you. If that is the case, Jim's answer is correct with one exception - the key you have from OneCare won't work unless that is the key that the router has stored within its configuration. You probably need to refer to the router documentation for how to enter that key in the router configuration or redo the WiFi Security from within OneCare in addition to reconfiguring the connection on the laptop as Jim explained.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:01 PM