Disabled network controller RRS feed

• Question

• I was updating the drivers earlier tonight on my ex470 through remote desktop connection, i diabled the network controller by accident and now i cannot access the thing. Can this be rectified. I know all the data and drive are in good order.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• If i was to buy a new ex470 and put all my drives it, would that work?
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:34 PM
  • If i was to buy a new ex470 and put all my drives it, would that work?
    Jimmy: That won't work. The setting that disabled the network card is stored in the registry. Moving the disk to another set of hardware will just move the problem with it.

Wow - I'm glad that my server is not headless. If you could only attach a monitor and mouse to your ex470 then it would be a snap to fix this.

If one knew the location in the registry where the network adapter settings are stored, and if one knew which setting to change, then fixing this would be a matter of removing your system drive, attaching it to another PC, running REGEDIT, mounting the SYSTEM registry hive from the server's disk, and changing the setting. Wish I knew which setting to change so that I could help you but I'm afraid that I don't. Maybe someone on here with an ex470 could help you, or maybe HP could.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:21 AM
  • I was updating the drivers earlier tonight on my ex470 through remote desktop connection, i diabled the network controller by accident and now i cannot access the thing. Can this be rectified. I know all the data and drive are in good order.

Your only options are A) Server Recovery (which would be my recommendation) or B) adding a way to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor.  As I recall, I think someone mentioned that there was a USB device that has that ability, but I don't know if it would work for your server or not.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:03 AM
  • I have found this on another forum, this will allow me to connect a monitor (fingers crossed, this will sort everything out) http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3980&start=0
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:07 AM
  • That looks like a great solution!
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:17 AM
  • I would recommend server recovery. Connecting that cable will require you to completely disassemble your server, and doing so will probably void any remaining warranty.

Not that the cable isn't useful, if you need to do development on an HP server. But for end users, it's not a good answer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:48 PM

Jimmy,

Before executing server recovery, you could try restarting the EX470 using the "last Known Good Configuration".  For this you need to press "F8" just before booting the OS and then select this option from the boot menu presented. You will have to connect a USB keyboard and as there is no Monitor you will have to go "blind" ....

I did this once succesfully after disabeling the network connection on my EX475:

1. Connect a USB keyboard to the the EX470.
    2. Start the server by switching it on.
    3. The 3th status light will stop flashing blue/red indicating BIOS hardware initialisation has ended.
    4. Wait one or more seconds (how many... you will have to try).
    5. then pres F8 a few times.
    If you timing is right the server will not boot and sit idle at the boot selection menu...

If not - retry by shutting down the sever (press the power key once and wait untill the lights go out) and repeat the above from step 2.
    (Tip: count the seconds before pressing F8, so on future tries you can wait a bit longer.... it took me 4 tries before beeing succesfull)

5. Then press the cursor "up" key 4 times to get at the "last Known Good Configuration" option
    6. Then press enter.

If your server then continues booting you should have restored it to a working network connection.
    Good luck.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:08 PM