WHS Vail reports Windows Defender not running RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 computers 1 Vista 1 XP both are running MSE currently but had windows Defender installed.  Vail keeps on coming up telling me that the Defender Service is not running?  Defender is not listed in add/remove programs so no way to remove the Service is listed but won't stay running?
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:54 PM

All replies

• When this happens to me I delete the alert and reboot the computer in question that didnt have it running, usually this happens because some other program or error forced it to crash so unless you can pinpoint that, just reboot the computer its complaining about and delete the alert, that usually fixes it. Mines only happens when windows defender does ____ out and its from doing various things on the pc all day without rebooting so it could be any number of things making it error out.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:55 PM
  • MSE keeps it from running.  I use Microsoft eEcurity Essentials on all my machines and that's what it does with WD.  On each of my machines I went into WD's properties and changed from stating automatically to disabled and those annoying notifications went away.  There's no harm in doing since MSE disables it anyway.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:58 PM