What method does WHS use to wake client computers? RRS feed

• Question

•  I am having trouble with my Vista Media Centre computer NOT getting backed up by WHS. WHS reports that the client was not re-connected within the timeout period. To help fault find this can anyone plesae help me by elaborating on how the client is awoken.  ie is a schedule assigned by WHS to the Vista client (which the Vista client then uses to wake itself), or does WHS use a wake on lan (WOL) packet that is sent over the network to then awaken the Vista client!

Thanks for any info that can be given!!

Bolty
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:20 PM

Answers

• The Home Server Connector software uses a timer which wakes a PC, so effectively a schedule is set up. Please note, however, that a computer won't wake for a backup when it's  running on battery. Because sometimes a regular computer (not a laptop) sees a UPS as a battery, a desktop PC may fail to wake if connected to a UPS.

Also, if your network drivers take a long time to reinitialize after waking from hibernation/sleep, or if you have a wireless network connection on that PC, you may see the network conneciton time out, causing a backup to fail. It sounds from what you've written like this is more likely to be your problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:56 PM

All replies

• The Home Server Connector software uses a timer which wakes a PC, so effectively a schedule is set up. Please note, however, that a computer won't wake for a backup when it's  running on battery. Because sometimes a regular computer (not a laptop) sees a UPS as a battery, a desktop PC may fail to wake if connected to a UPS.

Also, if your network drivers take a long time to reinitialize after waking from hibernation/sleep, or if you have a wireless network connection on that PC, you may see the network conneciton time out, causing a backup to fail. It sounds from what you've written like this is more likely to be your problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Thanks Ken. You continue to be a legend!

My network is NOT wireless, and it is not on a laptop. However you have given me a clue thanks to your answer. As the client machine is awoken by itself through the connector software, it sounds like it may be an issue that the client is not staying awake long enough to initiate and formalize the WHS backup. I have had the sleep timer on the client set to 3 minutes. I will try increasing the sleep timer to 10 minutes.

How do these ideas sound to you!

BTW you may recall that around 2 years ago you helped me with WHS sleep, as I was very concerned about unnecesary power consumption with WHS. In my context, I did not need 24/7 operation of my server. I have implemented a succesful sleep regime using the "at" command to switch off the WHS daily at 4 am, with the BIOS awakening the WHS daily at 1 am. Whenever I need the use of WHS "out of these hours" I just use WOL. Admittedly I have about a 1 minute wait, but I can handle that.  All other functions of WHS seem to work OK. I tried "Lightsout" for a while, but I found that the WHS was restarting every time I opened one of my other client computers!

Thanks again for your help!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:43 PM