High CPU (100%) Again RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Steve,

After 1 month with no problems about high CPU, after fixing it with your advice, i received updates last week and 2 of my computers had high CPU and locked live one care. I fixed 1 computer by following your advice as before, but one is still locked at 100%. This time in task manager it's System - System that is 100%. disabled live one care but no help, any help from you. Thank you Sonny

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 8:46 PM

Answers

• I think you really should contact support, Sonny. There is absolutely no reason that a OneCare update should cause the system to become unresponsive. You should already be at the latest version, so the only updates you would be getting now are the virus definitions/database and the firewall rules.

-steve

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hi, Sonny M. Since you've used a different LiveID to access the forum today, I can't search with your posting ID to see the previous thread to remind me what you may have done to fix it before.

So, could you remind me what solved the problem on one of the two PCs you managed to fix today?

And, for the PC that is showing CPU spiked, what other processes are running? What is showing as System?

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I fixed one computer by following your fix, disable peer, set NLA to auto. The computer with high CPU in Task manager has Image name (System), User Name (SYSTEM) at 95-100%. It started with the update being frozen, and i shut it down and then rebooted the computer. Live one care then started working but still the problem CPU at 100%.

Thanks for all your help the past two months, Sonny

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Do you know what updated that started the problem? Was it a Windows Update?

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:31 PM
  • It was a live one update, the computers were still trying to get the update for one day and i couldn't change anything on live one before i shut it down and rebooted.

Friday, April 4, 2008 9:01 PM
  • I think you really should contact support, Sonny. There is absolutely no reason that a OneCare update should cause the system to become unresponsive. You should already be at the latest version, so the only updates you would be getting now are the virus definitions/database and the firewall rules.

-steve

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:18 AM