Desktop background issues on DSVM RRS feed

• Question

• This is not a question about data science, but about the Windows desktop background... The DSVM sets its own desktop background. But that background spreads to all the other machines where I am logged in. If I reset the background on the other machines, it reverts to the DSVM background within a few hours (if I have a RDP session started, but even if it is disconnected). And on the DSVM machine for some reason I am unable to change the desktop background. This drives me nuts, largely because I can't figure out what makes this so. Any ideas? Specifically, why am I not able to change the background on the DSVM? And why is that background forced onto my network account settings?

Saturday, April 21, 2018 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. I assume this is on a Windows 2016 DSVM? It sounds like you may have Enterprise State Roaming turned on, and that is syncing your desktop to your other machines. 

I have also not experienced the issue with changing the background, but you could try replacing the images manually. They are located in C:\Windows\web\Wallpaper\Windows and C:\Windows\web\4K\Wallpaper\Windows.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. I assume this is on a Windows 2016 DSVM? It sounds like you may have Enterprise State Roaming turned on, and that is syncing your desktop to your other machines. 

I have also not experienced the issue with changing the background, but you could try replacing the images manually. They are located in C:\Windows\web\Wallpaper\Windows and C:\Windows\web\4K\Wallpaper\Windows.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 4:16 PM
  • I didn't know about Enterprise State Roaming but now I see that I do have it enabled. But I think that's what I want anyway. So this explains why the DSVM desktop spreads to my other systems.

That leaves the other question - for some reason I am unable to change the background on the DSVM machine. When I select a different background image - nothing happens. No error messages, and the background does not change. Is there something set up on the DSVM image that prevents the background from being changed? I don't suppose that there would be a permission issue with the user changing their desktop background?

Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:17 PM