Once a PP1 Backup is done to a backup disk. How to remove RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has already been answered but searching for "backup usb" etc brings back too many results.

I have added an external backup disk to WHS. ie not added to the storage pool. I have backed up my shares using the new backup functionality of PP1. At the moment I am  backing up my backup database using BDBB.

Once this is complete what do I do to remove the usb drive for safe storage?

Do I:

1. Shutdown and remove the drive.
    2. Stop the device using "safely remove hardware" and remove the drive.
    3. Remove the disk using the Disk Management tab of the WHS console.

Option 3 sounds but I just want to get this right. The backup paranoia is because I am about to migrate from the UK to OZ. I want a backup of my data that does not go in the same shipping container.

Regards
    Paul
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:17 AM

Answers

• You start up the WHS console and select the Server Storage tab. On that tab you find the backup disk; right click and select remove. You'll be asked if you want to remove it temporarily or permanently. Probably you will want to choose "temporarily".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:50 PM

All replies

• Option 1 or 2.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Thanks for the swift reply. I was worried that option 1 or 2 would make whs complain of a missing disk and that option 3 would make whs unlink/forget the drive in some way.

Thanks again

Paul

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:28 AM
  • You start up the WHS console and select the Server Storage tab. On that tab you find the backup disk; right click and select remove. You'll be asked if you want to remove it temporarily or permanently. Probably you will want to choose "temporarily".
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

You start up the WHS console and select the Server Storage tab. On that tab you find the backup disk; right click and select remove. You'll be asked if you want to remove it temporarily or permanently. Probably you will want to choose "temporarily".

Yep, however when I try I always get two options with the first option always greyed out.
    1. Temporarily remove it from my homeserver
    2. Stop using it for server backups

Normally I just pull the disk, and pop it back in again later. It's configured for fast removal so no real problem there.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Don't use an internal drive (SATA, using a drive caddy, I assume?), and "temporarily remove" won't be greyed out.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Don't use an internal drive (SATA, using a drive caddy, I assume?), and "temporarily remove" won't be greyed out.

Yes, using internal SATA drive in drive caddy (HP Mediasmart, very convenient). I've seen too many issues with external (USB) drives. What about eSATA attached drive, will this have "temporarily remove" greyed out or not?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:39 AM
  • brubber said:

What about eSATA attached drive, will this have "temporarily remove" greyed out or not?

It depends on the hardware and drivers. Many chipsets treat an eSATA connection as identical to a SATA connection, and as a result it may look like a non-removable drive to the OS. I don't think you'd have a problem with USB for server backup, though.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:33 PM