CRM Online - High Availability and Disaster Recovery Scenarios RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am using CRM Online deployment (I created in 2 weeks back). I am in the process of learning CRM online.

I have questions regarding HADR scenarios - 

1. Do I need to handle HADR scenarios myself in CRM Online? if so what should I do?
    2. If Microsoft handles HADR solutions to me. Then what are those? I am not able to find any documentation for Microsoft HADR offerings? Do they deploy my CRM instance in multiple servers across different data centres? 
    3. How would Microsoft guarantee HADR for CRM online SQL Databases?
    4. I understand Microsoft's SLA for CRM online is 99.9%. What would be appropriate time in Minutes we loose due to down time from past experiences?
    5. Where should we configure emails, so that at the time of disaster, a warning email will be send to those emails?

Answers to any of these questions are well appreciated. Links to good resources are also great.

Thanks, Rami [ASP.Net MVP]

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:18 PM

All replies

• You might check out this whitepaper: Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online security and service continuity

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft consistently performs backups of all the organization databases.  That being said, those backups are strictly for restoring when there is a hardware failure or natural disaster that affects Microsoft, or if something happened while patching or upgrading the servers and/or organizations.

Customers are required to create their own backups by using the Export to Excel method with CRM or a 3rd party tool to regularly copy out their data.  That being said, if one of your users deletes one or more records, you will need to use your backups to bring the record(s) back into CRM Online.  Microsoft will not use their daily backups to restore your organization for an error on the part of one of your users.  Reason being, they would need to restore the whole organization which could lead to loss of data that had been entered into the organization or workflows that processed since the backup was taken.

If there is an issue with an organization on the server, Microsoft does work pretty fast to resolve it.  But every issue is different.  So their are no real time estimates that could be given.  I have seen some issues take up to a couple hours to resolve but I have also seen issues resolved within a few minutes of the customers finding there was a problem.  Again, each issue is different but access issues get cleared up fast.  If you do have issues, generate your ticket with Microsoft as soon as you can so that someone can help out.

As for you last question, you could just have a boiler email template that you can copy and paste into an email.

Jason Peterson

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:02 PM