Public IM works with MSN messenger, but not Yahoo! RRS feed

• Question

• As subject says PIC works fine with Hotmail addresses, but not with Yahoo! accounts.

When sending a message to userid@yahoo.com (correct) we get a 404 error.

When sending a message to userid@yahoo.co.nz (incorrect) we get 1008 error.

We have our settings as follows:

lcsap.msg.yahoo.com

federation.messenger.msn.com

Also we can telnet into our Edge server on port 5061 from an external PC.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what the problem could be or what else I can try to fix the problem with Yahoo!?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:35 AM

All replies

• Did you just enable PIC for your environment?  Because all three partners are different companies they handle the requests on their own schedule; all three services will usually not all sart working at the same time.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:10 PM
  • We enabled Public IM (and Live Messenger was working) about 7 weeks ago..
    Is there anybody at Yahoo! we can contact to find out if we have been enabled at their end?
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:24 PM
  • The turnaround time is supposed to be in the 30 day period, so it should be working by now.

This article lists all of the supported public IM domains: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897567/en-us

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:43 PM
  • You might also want to take a look at this past article: http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2008/05/23/193.aspx
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Thanks for the links Jeff, but I've checked all the details on those pages and subpages and can't seem to find any clues as to what the problem may be..
    We don't really need AOL as nobody in NZ really uses it, but if it helps for troubleshooting the problem maybe we should enable it.
    Do we just need to configure it on our EDGE server or would we need to let AOL know also to enable us?
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Ok I've setup and registered with AOL, and thats not working either..
    Does that give any clues as to what the problem may be?

LCS VL operations have told me "all 3 federation partners confirmed completion of provisioning this PIC request last July"

I've also checked the "Federation Checklist" and all my configs seem right from that (although I can't see how any settigns etc could be wrong and MSN messenger Public IM still work).

Are the only places you setup Public IM / federation:
    The EDGE server > OCS server properties:
    Access Methods tab > check all boxes
    Allow tab > add all domains and access edge servers (e.g. msg.yahoo.com   |   lcsap.msg.yahoo.com)
    IM Provider tab > allow all 3 providers - each with default network address (e.g. lcsap.msg.yahoo.com), both boxes checked, and Allow all communications from this provider selected.

Is there anywhere else I can configure Public IM options?
    Friday, September 12, 2008 3:14 AM
  • What are you using for certificates on the Edge server's external interfaces?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Ok I just checked MSN connectivity and after trying to send a message the MSN user appears online but I get this error:
    ‎‎Jeremy [8:53 a.m.]:
      yeow

This message was not delivered to ‎jeremy‎MSN because the service is not available:
    yeow

My OCS account is still enabled for Public IM.

External Interface Settings:

Certificate Authority Entrust.net Secure Server Certification Authority    (this is a UC certificate which allows up to 10 SANs)
    Subject
         sip.northland.ac.nz
    Subject Alternate Name
         live.northland.ac.nz
         av.northland.ac.nz
         im.northland.ac.nz
         livehelp.northland.ac.nz
         sip.northland.ac.nz    (this last one repeated is to get around a SAN bug with ISA 2006 before SP1)

the same certificate is used for the Access and Web Conferencing roles.
    We do not use a certificate for A/V
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:03 PM
  • OK nevermind the last message about the MSN service is not available..
    I suspect that was just a short term problem as we hadnt made any changes before or after that error and MSN Public IM has resumed again now..

One very odd thing I've noticed however (when federation with MSN does work, but AOL and Yahoo do not work) is these results from the Validation wizard in the Checking direct partner configuration section:
    (NB: the last entry is for a "private" federation partner..

Direct Partner lcsap.msg.yahoo.com   DNS Resolution succeeded: 98.136.47.17
    TLS connect succeeded: 98.136.47.17:5061
      Success

Direct Partner federation.microsoft.msn.com   DNS Resolution failure: No such host is known
    Suggested Resolution: Make sure there are no typos in the Server name. Make sure that the Server name is published in the DNS (A or SRV record) or hosts file entry is configured correctly.
      Failure
    [0xC3FC200D] One or more errors were detected

Direct Partner sip.oscar.aol.com   DNS Resolution succeeded: 64.12.162.248
    TLS handshake failed: 64.12.162.248:5061 Error Code: 0x80131500 Remote disconnected while incoming tls negotation was in progress
      Failure
    [0xC3FC200D] One or more errors were detected

Direct Partner sip.hplab.net.nz   DNS Resolution succeeded: 203.167.204.41
    TLS connect succeeded: 203.167.204.41:5061
      Success

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:12 AM
  • bump...
    Apparently we'd need to have purchased a certificate from AOL to get Public IM working with them. We don't need federation with AIM so don't see much reason to worry about this.

Is there a possibilty that Yahoo could have made a typo or error in their provisioning for us?
    If so is there any way we can verify their configuration?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:07 PM