Windows Vista Ultimate and SonicWall VPN Client RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been trying to get my laptop to cooperate with OneCare and the SonicWALL Global VPN client.  I have reinstalled Windows Vista and the SonicWALL client several times.  This most recent time I was able to get both programs to function for a few weeks, but now it's back to the problem of OneCare not starting when I reboot the computer and the VPN client not launching.  Another side effect appears to be MS Outlook locking up and in some cases asking me to start up in safe mode.  I've read most of the threads that I have been able to find regarding which ports to open in the firewall as well as running the VPN client as administrator.

Today I went to put in an e-mail support request and the process to upload the diagnostics file fails (I'm assuming it's related to what ever this failure is.)

I'm wondering if anybody else has been having this problem and if there is a "magic" process for the order of installation or some kind of advanced settings or registry parameters that will resolve this nightmare and turn my laptop back into a functional asset rather than an expensive paper weight.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:13 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the firewall thread, but I suspect that your problem may not be firewall related since you report that it has worked before, but then stops. This thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2540858&SiteID=2 - includes a simple fix as the answer for getting it to work at all, but OneCare has been updated since that time and I suspect so has Sonicwall's VPN client.

Have you contacted OneCare support or are you working with Sonicwall?

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:19 AM
  • I tried to contact OneCare support, but I don't know if it succeeded.  The portion of the e-mail request that wanted me to provide a diagnostic file locked up.  I am assuming since I haven't heard anything today that it did not work.  I will have to try telephone support since this machine isn't working correctly.  I've noticed that I can't launch Windows Live Mail either.

I'm assuming that it is more complicated than a configuration setting.  Yes I was able to get all of the software to cooperate for at least two weeks before it started exhibiting the current set of problems.  I am in the process of escalating this with SonicWALL as well.  I'm sure that there will be finger pointing in both directions, but I hope to find some kind of temporary solution until all of the programs involved can work and play well together.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:25 PM
  • With the fact that it worked before and now things are broken for multiple programs, that supports my theory that something else has broken. The fact the Windows Live Mail is also broken adds to this. The submission form and process for grabbing support data to upload is a pain as I've seen it fail for no apparent reason. Please do let us know of any progress in rectifying your situation.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:33 PM