Systems Analyst wants to take and pass 70-536 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am not a developer but I do have a Computer Science background (masters degree) and I am pretty familiar with C# syntax and much of the fundamentals of the .net framework. I have read many .net books over the years and I have coded lots of the book examples and such...anyways my question is that do I have any chance of passing 70-536 with out an actual developer background? I feel like I have a really good handle on the concepts and pretty decent with the actual code but I have never coded anything more than book examples and school assignments. Just want you thoughts and how do you think I can best proceed.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:22 AM

Answers

• I think that it is possible for your to pass the exam but you need a much more carefull preparation than people with more experience.

My experience with the 70-536 exam is (Also with the other exams I took so far), that experience is important. If you use the self paced training kit, you shoul dnot just read the book and think that this is enough. I am quite sure, that just with the book you cannot answer a lot of questions in the exam. You need the knowledge you get in the examples where you understand, what a class contains and how the class works together with other classes. (So make sure, you read the MSDN Library about involved classes. Also go and understand other related classes!)

If you really go through the examples at the end of each lesson and really spend time to understand the subject deeply, then I think you are prepared good enough to pass the exam.

One more hint: When doing the examples you might get some questions. The C# forums on msdn are quite good so feel free to ask question in there so you can be sure, that you understood all in detail.

I think what I described is simply: Go and get the experience that you missed so far. (Which is important for all developers I think. Some stuff that is asked was never ever used by me. One example is the IsolatedStorage - I never ever used that so far so it was a topic where I spend a lot of time to get some experience with it!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:58 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:50 AM
    Answerer