Problems with Avast Antivirus RRS feed

• Question

• I read some posts a while ago and chose to install Avast Antivirus on my HP Mediasmart server.  The HP is an early version, 470 I  think.  I first downloaded and installed the free version of the Avast software to test it and then a week or so later purchased a package of WHS and other licenses.  It has been a miserable experience.  Customer support throughout the purchase and succeeding time has been mostly nonexistent and ineffective when there has been any contact.

After purchase it took me several contacts and about a week of effort to get the email with license and installation information.  At the time I thought that I might have just lost my money.  Little did I know that it would have been the best outcome I could have wished for.

I installed the license key information using the instructions provided and seemingly was successful.  The software seemed to be operating as intended.  A couple of weeks later I began getting notifications that the Avast license had expired and that i should either obtain a license or uninstall the software.  At the same time the Avast tab appeared as a blank white page.  For clarity, there is nothing on the Avast tab, a blank white sheet.  I have tried the uninstall button under settings/add-ins/avast with no success.  It fails.  Since the tab is blank i have no access to the Avast software and cannot do anything through its interface.  I have contacted Avast support and after first and second level support had no effective answers I was informed that the matter was turned over to their development team.  I have heard nothing for three weeks despite my further attempts to get information.

Two questions:
    1. Has anyone had any experience with this phenomena?
    2. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do now?
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:42 PM

All replies

• Avast is a poor, buggy, resource hungry add-in - my opinion but close to fact.  They don't provide adequate support for headless WHS installations.   If you have AV on your client machines and don't use your server like a workstation then you really don't need a big resource hog like Avast.
    --
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I am certainly inclined to agree given my experience to date.  How do I get rid of it?
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:17 PM
  • First I must say that I do not agree with Al on this. Note that Avast for WHS is more then just an "add-in". It is a full blown anti-virus engine protecting WHS. It can be installed from the desktop or through the WHS console (preferred) an has an addtional userinterface that installs as an WHS console add-in. I have been using Avast family pack fro WHS for over two years now (on different machines and installation) with no problems whatsoever.

That said what you are experiencing is not nomal and certainly very frustrating. Something definitely went wrong on your server that prevents Avast from normal operation.  The standard procedure for WHS in such a case would be a "sever re-install".

Asuming:
    * you did not have (or had) installed any other Antivirus product on the server that do not support WHS.
    * you did only install the WHS version of avast (setup_av_whs.msi or setup_av_whs.exe)

Unless you are running WHS without customisations a server re-install is a last-resort solution. So it might be worth trying to solve this in another way first. As the standard option to uninstall Avast through the cosole failed an alternate option would be to try uninstalling Avast through the WHS remote Desktop (which btw is "unsupported"):

1) Reboot your server, do not start the WHS client on any of the clients.
    1) Login to the WHS remote desktop.
    2) Stop Avast (using the tray icon -> "stop on-acess protection").
    3) Start->run, "services.msc".
        Stop any avast! service that is started (e.g. "avast! Antivirus", "avast! iAVS4 Control services",..).
    4) Uninstall avast through the Control Panel->"avast! Windows Home Server Edition".
    5) Restart the server
    6) Check the result by going from 1)

If the uninstall succeeded you might try reinstalling avast! for Windows Home server through the Desktop using the .exe installer.

Remark: some users reported being unable to uninstall avast! in this way. If this happens I think you should consider a server re-install. Mainly because the HP has no keyboard/monitor and (as Al suggested in his post) options to repair in these cases are unavaliable on a headless system.

Good luck,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:00 PM
  • I also disagree with Al...

Support for headless servers: Nobody provides "adequate" support for headless Windows Home Server installations. There's no point. If you're using your server as designed, you have only the console to allow installation/uninstallation of software. If that fails (for any of a myriad of reasons) your very next step is server recovery.

What Avast for WHS is: It's an add-in that gives you central control over virus scans, protection, etc. for up to 10 computers in your home (that are running a compatible version of Avast), and it gives you virus protection on your server. Al is naive in his thought that you don't need virus protection on your server; you need "virus" (really malware of all sorts, these days) protection on every computer connected to a network, because you don't know when a friend with an infected laptop is going to bring something nasty into your home.

Resource consumption: Avast is no worse in this regard than many other AV products (really it's considerably better, in my experience). An OEM (i.e. headless) server is designed to be a low power device, both because that's Microsoft's vision for the product and because it's how the OEM makes money: deliver the minimum. So you have resource constraints. Personally, I put protection of my data above making resources on the server available to other resource hogs like AV control software, streaming servers, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Basically if AV was that important to have on Windows Home Server, microsfoft would have a solution for it.  On Access AV Scanners are just a resource hog and are a false security - much like scanning equipment at airports.
    --
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Al, businesses put AV protection on their servers for a reason, and the reason is not because they've been sold a bill of goods by some consultant (though that may also be true). I will say again: any computer connected to your home network should have some sort of AV protection on it. "Microsoft doesn't have AV software for Windows Home Server" doesn't necessarily mean "AV software for Windows Home Server isn't needed"; I can think of several reasons that are much more likely, starting with lack of demand.

I agree with your point on scanners at airports (security theater at it's finest, along with the other silly requirements like removing shoes, belts, etc. for separate x-ray), but it's irrelevant to Windows Home Server...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:28 PM
  • 

Do not use the "5" version, the WHS version is 4.8.  I have successfully uninstalled (WHS Trial ver) with the utility without Safe mode when both the Add-In Tab and Control Pane./Add Remove Programs failed.

Before running the utility, right click the Avast Icon in the notification area, click on Program Settings, then Troubleshooting, then check "Disable Avast self-defense module."

Then run the utility.

A reboot will be necessary.

And yes, I run the Avast WHS version on my WHS.  I would prefer MSE, but that solution is not available.

--

"Theo van Elsberg" <=?utf-8?B?VGhlbyB2YW4gRWxzYmVyZw==?=> wrote in message news:8ed0fa20-51d7-4769-8d00-817091ddad20...

First I must say that I do not agree with Al on this. Note that Avast for WHS is more then just an "add-in". It is a full blown anti-virus engine protecting WHS. It can be installed from the desktop or through the WHS console (preferred) an has an addtional userinterface that installs as an WHS console add-in. I have been using Avast family pack fro WHS for over two years now (on different machines and installation) with no problems whatsoever.

That said what you are experiencing is not nomal and certainly very frustrating. Something definitely went wrong on your server that prevents Avast from normal operation.  The standard procedure for WHS in such a case would be a "sever re-install".

Asuming:
    * you did not have (or had) installed any other Antivirus product on the server that do not support WHS.
    * you did only install the WHS version of avast (setup_av_whs.msi or setup_av_whs.exe)

Unless you are running WHS without customisations a server re-install is a last-resort solution. So it might be worth trying to solve this in another way first. As the standard option to uninstall Avast through the cosole failed an alternate option would be to try uninstalling Avast through the WHS remote Desktop (which btw is "unsupported"):

1) Reboot your server, do not start the WHS client on any of the clients.
    1) Login to the WHS remote desktop.
    2) Stop Avast (using the tray icon -> "stop on-acess protection").
    3) Start->run, "services.msc".
        Stop any avast! service that is started (e.g. "avast! Antivirus", "avast! iAVS4 Control services",..).
    4) Uninstall avast through the Control Panel->"avast! Windows Home Server Edition".
    5) Restart the server
    6) Check the result by going from 1)

If the uninstall succeeded you might try reinstalling avast! for Windows Home server through the Desktop using the .exe installer.

Remark: some users reported being unable to uninstall avast! in this way. If this happens I think you should consider a server re-install. Mainly because the HP has no keyboard/monitor and (as Al suggested in his post) options to repair in these cases are unavaliable on a headless system.

Good luck,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server

BullDawg
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:06 PM
  • I am having similar problems with Avast.  My Avast window is blank and I do not have an Avast icon in the system tray.  I contacted Avast and they said to use a utility called Ice Storm to uninstall Avast.  This did not work.  I tried to add a new copy of Avast to the Add-ins folder, but it doesn't show up as an available add-in.  I tried to uninstall Avast from the Add-ins tab and I get an installation failure message.  I have no idea how to get rid of Avast.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:41 PM
  • The only solution I found to this was to do a server recovery.  Basically becuase I was headless - however in safe mode you are meant to be able to uninstall avast once you have turned off the built in protection.
    --
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Here is the solution an antivirus comparison:

rebrand.ly/top-antivirus

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:38 AM