MS Sync Framework help required. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am a newbie with MS Sync Framework. With one of the application, that works with a distributed environment, we have to synchronize local and remote databases. A central server, to which we plan to have SQL Server 2012 installed, and multiple node servers, where we plan to have SQL Server 2008 Express editions installed, need to share data bi-directionally. We have the same database schema upon all the database servers and require to sync sub sets of the data after variable periods so as to have same data values over all nodes.

For Change Tracking we are using SQL Server 2008's change tracking capabilities. Since we cannot modify the existing database schema so custom change tracking is out of question. We will be using Sync Framework 2.1 since 4.0 is still in CTP. Does 2.1 even supports SQL Server 2008 change tracking?

Since I am very new to Sync Framework, so I would like to ask for any pointers, best practices or any help anybody can provide.

Thanks.

Dipin Behl MCTS

Monday, October 22, 2012 1:04 PM

All replies

• the built-in SQL Server Change Tracking only works with the older offline sync provider and SqlCeClientSyncProvider/DBServerSyncProvider/SyncAgent combo.

which means you can't use SQL Express for the client unless you want to build your own sync provider (there used to be an MS sample for that but has been pulled out of the download site already)

Sync 4.0 has long been cancelled and was released as the Sync Framework Toolkit instead. the 4.0/Toolkit is targeted for clients that can't have the full Sync Framework SDK installed (WP, Silverlight, iOS, etc...) and internally still uses Sync Fx 2.1 on the server side.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:41 AM