Using Registry Search and Launch condition regarding to C# RRS feed

• Question

• i'm using setup project, and i want when the user clicks on the msi the application checks if Nokia PC Siute is installed on the target machine (Searching on the registry) and if not it will display a message confirming the user to use setup.exe to install all pre-requiesits.

what i did :
    1) i added a registry search and on the property window :
        - Property = PCSUITEEXISTS
        - RegKey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Nokia PC Suite
        - Root = vsdrrHKLM
        - Value = DisplayName
     *Note : i got this values from the registy editor

2) i added a launch condition, and its properties:
        - (Name) = PCSUITE installed, if not prompt user
        - Condition = PCSUITEEXISTS
        - InstallUrl = 
        - Message = [ProductName] requires Nokia PC suite vs.7. Please run setup.exe to install the prerequisites for this application.

*Note : InstallURL is empty and i want him to install Nokia PC Suite if he didnt find it on the registry, so what is the path if i want to add Nokia PC Suite.exe as a file to the MSI. How could i write thr relative path.

3) i added to the setup project properties Nokia PC suite as a pre-requisites so when the user clicks on setup.exe it will install both .net framework 2 and Nokia Pc suite.

What i want is :
    1) when i click on msi file it always dipslays the message although Nokia Pc Suite is installed on the target machine. I want the msi file continue myApplication installation if he found Nokia Pc Suite on the registry, or displays the message if not.

2) if there is a way to generate one file (put msi file and exe file on one file) where the user clicks on exe/msi file (which i dont know may be the msi file or setup.exe file) and checks if the pre-requisites are installed ok then install the main application , if one of the pre-reuisites/all of the pre-requisites is/are not installed then ask the user to install therequired file and install it then after installing all the pre-requisites continue installing the main application.

Note: i'm using VS 2005 , language : C#

thnx in advance .

BR
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:02 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, 

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the MSDN > Forums Home > Smart Device Development > Visual Studio Smart Device Development – Visual Basic and C# Projects located here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssmartdevicesvbcs/threads/.

Have a great day!

Sudarshan shindode Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by sudarshans1 Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by sudarshans1 Monday, March 23, 2009 10:48 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:20 AM