Can't Activate Vista w/ Current Key Code RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a Dell Computer about 2 years ago which came with XP Media Edition installed.  It also came with the Reinstallation DVD for the Operating System.  I purchased an upgrade version of Windows Vista Home Premium about 6 months ago and installed it on my computer and activation went as planned.  I recently I had to completely re-format my harddrive and re-install the operating system on my computer. 

My issue is when I attempted to install Windows XP I would get a blue screen stating I possible disk errors and to run chkdsk.  After doing so, no errors were found and no viruses were found; however, I continued to get the blue screen w/ error messages.  I was able to do a Vista Install w/o any issues, but the upgrade options was disabled and I had to perform a clean install.  Now I cannot register Vista with the current key code because it says it is only for an upgrade, not for a clean install.  I have called Microsoft on numerous occastions (3) and get patched from various people who speak little to no english and obviously don't understand my problem.

Can someone please tell me how I can activate Vista w/o having XP installed first?  I have the Product Key for both operating systems. 

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:36 AM

Answers