Restoring Backup on Another Computer RRS feed

• Question

• How can I restore a backup under the following conditions: 

I have been using Windows OneCare to daily back up my MS Outlook on Computer A; the backup occurs on Computer B via my home network.  Computer A has suddenly crashed and refuses to boot up.  But I do have the daily backups on Computer B.  I have four home computers, all connecting on the network.  However, I have tried to use Windows  Live OneCare on Computer B as well as on my other computers to restore the latest backup, and OneCare says that it cannot recognize any of the backup files.  Please tell me how to proceed.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:43 PM

Answers

• Diana, I'm sorry to read that the PC crashed.

I assume that you have restored the PC operating system on that PC and installed OneCare. Once that has been done, activate OneCare once again with the same LiveID that was used previously to get it back to your subscription. Then, configure backup on the restored PC and make sure to point the backup to the same Share that was used previously. For the "what" select a small set of data to backup, perhaps by excluding most of the drive and selecting a file type of which few exist. Then, perform a restore, but select to restore from another computer (after a reinstall, the backups are always from another computer, since the reinstall is "new"). Select the backup set for the crashed PC and proceed with the restore.

If you need help with this, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:44 PM

All replies

• Diana, I'm sorry to read that the PC crashed.

I assume that you have restored the PC operating system on that PC and installed OneCare. Once that has been done, activate OneCare once again with the same LiveID that was used previously to get it back to your subscription. Then, configure backup on the restored PC and make sure to point the backup to the same Share that was used previously. For the "what" select a small set of data to backup, perhaps by excluding most of the drive and selecting a file type of which few exist. Then, perform a restore, but select to restore from another computer (after a reinstall, the backups are always from another computer, since the reinstall is "new"). Select the backup set for the crashed PC and proceed with the restore.

If you need help with this, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:44 PM
  • Hello, Steve--

Thanks so much for trying to help. . . .The problem is that I could not restore the PC operating system on the computer that crashed (Computer A); the motherboard failed.  But I have the Windows OneCare backup on Computer B.  The problem is that Computer B will not restore the backup from Computer A.  I cannot figure out why.  Maybe the problem is that the Windows OneCare on Computer B is, indeed, using a different LiveID.  So, I guess I will uninstall its Windows OneCare and then reinstall Windows OneCare using the same LiveID as was installed on Computer A.  Perhaps you can let me know if this procedure might succeed.  Thanks again, Diana Mae

Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:57 AM
  • If the backup to computer B was done via Centralized backup or a Network Share for normal backup, then you must restore via the same path in order for it to be recognized. The subscription ID should not matter, so don't reinstall.

As I understand it, you have backed up A to a Share on B. Was this via Centralized backup or did you simply create a Shared folder on B and backup A's data to B? If the latter, then you won't be able to restore the backup to B as the Network Share resides on the same PC. You should, however, be able to restore to another PC that is configured to backup to the same Share on B.

The limitation is a media identifier that is stored with the backup. So, if PC "C" is not already backing up to the Share on B, create a small backup to that Share from C. Then perform a Custom Restore on C and select the backup from A.

If you do not have another PC, then I'm afraid that your options may be even more limited. Let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:42 AM