Win XP SP3 Services / Security errors RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to click the tab for Windows Service Dependencies I get this error:

Win32: Access is denied

Could this be related to local security policy settings? Any other suggestions?

Digging into local security options I found the following three all had a status of "Not Applicable", which I have never seen before.

Accounts: Administrator account status
    Accounts: Guest account status
    Network access: Allow anonymous SID/Name translation

However, I can log on to the local administrator account and access the network. The first symptom that alerted me to a problem last night was Windows Security no longer recognized Symantec Endpoint is installed. Scheduled scans work but there is no Network Threat Protection tab and Live Update does not work.

I logged in to the same admin account using Safe Mode, and when I checked the Security Options listed above, they were as they should be:

Accounts: Administrator account status - Enabled
    Accounts: Guest account status - Disabled
    Network access: Allow anonymous SID/Name translation - Disabled

When I logged out of Safe Mode and logged in normally, these settings were still in effect. But I continue to get the original error when trying to click the tab for Windows Service Dependencies I get this error:

Win32: Access is denied

Also, COM+ System Application service will not start even though it is set to automatic. When I try to force a start it immediately stops again. Still no Live Update for Symantec.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:34 PM

Answers