none
Windows 7 Home Basic-Instalation RRS feed

• Question

•   I have a old Dell Inspiron N4050 laptop having Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit..and the lap was not working because it was damaged and not repairable.Also i have a new desktop PC I want to install that same Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit. to my new PC is it possible to install that same key on my new PC because the key is not in use
    Details of my Lap

---------------------------

Model no:Dell Inspiron N4050
    Service Tag: 2NVBHP1..............

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:45 AM

Answers

• That only applies if your license is a retail one.

OEM Licenses cannot be moved to new machines - that's why th elicense sticker is attached to the machine into which the license was originally installed.

A machine with an OEM license installed, without a COA sticker attached, is by definition non-genuine. 

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:17 AM
  • You must purchase a Full License for your new machine (unless it came preinstalled with a qualifying version of Windows) There are no other options.

If you wish to continue to use Home Premium, then you will have to purchase a Full license for it, and you can tehn use the Key from that license to make your current install genuine

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:20 PM

All replies

• Is this possible to install the same OS on my new desktop PC because the key is not in use.......................
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:47 AM
  • No - OEM Licenses CANNOT be moved to new machines.

You will have to purchase a ful license for the new one

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:26 AM
  • But sir i already request about it to Microsoft Online Customer Service..The replay from Microsoft Online Customer Service is

"

Hello Anil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I understand from your email that you are going to change laptop and want to know can you install Windows 7 Home Basic in laptop or not. Let me assist you with the best support option.

Anil, you can install Windows 7 Home Basic in new laptop.

Note:-

Before changing the laptop you need to uninstall Windows 7.

Thank you for using Microsoft Products and Services.

Ali"

The screenshot to get clear idea about this repaly from Microsoft Customer Service.

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/3630/windows7sv.jpg

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:47 AM
  • That only applies if your license is a retail one.

OEM Licenses cannot be moved to new machines - that's why th elicense sticker is attached to the machine into which the license was originally installed.

A machine with an OEM license installed, without a COA sticker attached, is by definition non-genuine. 

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:17 AM
  • Thanks for the replay sir.Is possible to convert that OEM license key to retail one.Is possible to deactivate the old key and give me a new single Licenses of Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit......................................................................................
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Sir

what happens when a pirated windows 7 is updating......?what is the difference between loader genuine windows vs original windows 7..?I found some genuine windows loader from youtube...that makes windows 7 genuine(validation also displayed as  genuine)

Sorry for any grammar mistake......................................................................................

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Now i am using windows 7 home premium 30 trial...is it is possible to update........
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:52 AM
  • You must purchase a Full License for your new machine (unless it came preinstalled with a qualifying version of Windows) There are no other options.

If you wish to continue to use Home Premium, then you will have to purchase a Full license for it, and you can tehn use the Key from that license to make your current install genuine

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:20 PM
  • don't bother with the junk you see on youtube. The loaders, cracks, hacks and product keys you see on youtube are all bogus. sooner or later they will go bad. save yourself grief and purchase genuine windows.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:27 PM
    Answerer
  • If by "update" you mean get rid of the 30-day evaluation period, you have to purchase a retail copy of the same edition of Windows and enter the new product key at the "Change Product Key" link at the bottom of the System Properties page.  The license for the Windows that shipped on the old laptop was tied to the manufacturer's SLIC table recorded in the BIOS on the old laptop's motherboard.  The new laptop would have to be the same make and model as the old one for the old license to still work because any other make and model computer would have a different SLIC table in it's BIOS.  It has nothing to do with the copy of Windows.  It is all about the product key in use.  It is embedded in the software from the old computer and can only be overridden by entering a new, retail product key on the new one.  The only way to get a new, valid product key is to buy Windows.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 8GB ram.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:37 PM
    Answerer
  •  I want to buy a windows 7 starter edition Please give me any website for buying windows 7 at low cost in India................

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:33 PM
  • You need to ask in India.  As far as I know Starter is OEM only and can only be purchased preinstalled on a new computer.  You may be able to purchase Home Basic at retail in India.

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I see the Microsoft Store India site is still 'closed for renovations' - I was hoping thaat it would have opened in time for the launch of Windows 8 (it's been closed for a few months now).

The rules for sale and purchase of Starter edition are a little different in India and other such markets to the rest of the world (where Starter is only available pre-installed on noew machines, and not separately).

I would suggest that You purchase from a legitinate large store -  not from smaller stores, which appear to have a rather shaky history in that part of the world in terms of software legitimacy. If you wish to purchase online, I suggest you first read the following.... http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/309bb621-92d5-43d6-98c1-2bb51b35607f

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:06 PM
  • hello i plan to buy windows 7 home premium 32 bit from eBay 

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Basic-32-Bit-English-Full-Ver-SP1-DSP-OEM-Only-DVD-/350618382618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item51a27bf11a#ht_4725wt_924

is eBay is treatable site for buying windows 7.......

Is 32 bit home premium key working in 64bit.....?

Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:04 PM
  • The same product key is used to activate both 32bits and 64bits.  However the item you linked on ebay does not include the 64bit software.  It only has the 32bit dvd.  If you were buying from ebay in North America I would say do not do it.  Buy from Microsoft or other trusted Microsoft partner instead.  I am not familiar with ebay in India so you will need to seek advice in India.  The problem with buying Windows or Office on ebay everywhere is that the sellers are individuals and largely small, unknown companies who all too often sell misrepresented products and counterfeits.  If Amazon.com does business in India then I recommend you purchase there for your own protection.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:46 PM
    Answerer
  • hello i plan to buy windows 7 home premium 32 bit from eBay 

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Basic-32-Bit-English-Full-Ver-SP1-DSP-OEM-Only-DVD-/350618382618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item51a27bf11a#ht_4725wt_924

is eBay is treatable site for buying windows 7.......

Is 32 bit home premium key working in 64bit.....?

Almost certainly counterfeit - don't bother.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Starter is NOT AVAILABLE in 64-bit - it's 32-bit only, and limited to 2GB RAM

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:06 AM