Heath Crit - Backup Service Not Running - Cannot Connect To Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MediaSmart EX470 with 2 500GB drives.

My WHS seems to take forever to boot from off. The health light blinks and blinks for what could be like 20 minutes.

On my PC's, I have the grey disconnected from WHS icon.

Then WHS will boot and I'll get a red WHS icon that says Network Health Critical. I'll get messages like Backup Service Not Running On Server and one other message.

When I attempt to connect to my Shared Folders default desktop share I get a message that I cannot connect to the share because the server service hasn't started.

I know it's getting far enough along the boot process for SOMETHING to happen because logmein.com shows me as logged in.

I cannot connect via the console.

I can connect via Remote Desktop but it took probably 30 seconds to switch from black to grey. 10 seconds to switch from grey to the blue Windows Home Server wallpaper... and it just hangs there.

I have two hard drives installed and both show as blue on the server itself.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:54 PM

All replies

• I am suspicious that one or both drives is failing. I would remove each of the drives from your server, connect them to some other computer, and run "chkdsk /r" on them.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Okay, I'll give that a shot.  I'll keep you posted.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:43 PM
  • You should be aware that, if chkdsk finds errors on the disks, it is possible that the result will be some data loss or even an inability to boot your server. This is, unfortunately, the nature of a hard drive failure. 

If chkdsk doesn't find errors, then I'll ask what you might have installed or changed on your server shortly before you first started seeing this behavior?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:14 PM