OT? Desireable Hard Drive Temp? RRS feed

• Question

• Running WHS and using it to host a home theater server.

Got four Western Digital "Green" 1-TB hard drives stacked in there.

I'm seeing temps in the high thirties (37-39 degrees C).

Understood that lower is better.... but how does that temperature range stack up against what is desireable/realistically attainable without special cooling?
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:59 PM

Answers

• If your drives are within spec (and 37-39 °C is well within the operating range of any drive I know of) don't worry about it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Hi,
    the WD Green drives are very nice in context with their temperature, and my own disks in a Fujitsu Scaleo Home Server show around the same values as yours. (The old Samsung drives before got about 10 degree hotter.)
    So the value you see is in the optimum range for what is currently available in the market.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by PeteCress Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:37 AM

All replies

• If your drives are within spec (and 37-39 °C is well within the operating range of any drive I know of) don't worry about it.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Hi,
    the WD Green drives are very nice in context with their temperature, and my own disks in a Fujitsu Scaleo Home Server show around the same values as yours. (The old Samsung drives before got about 10 degree hotter.)
    So the value you see is in the optimum range for what is currently available in the market.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by PeteCress Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:37 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.

Thanks Ken.

I never would have even thought about it - except WHS shows drive temps...
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:58 PM
  • No, actually, it doesn't. You have Sam Wood's Disk Management add-in installed, though, don't you? I'm pretty sure that does show drive temperatures.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:44 PM