Cannot install OEM after Eval Period over ... RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to login using the Console the software tells me I need to activate my WHS. When I try, it tells me I cannot connect to the server and then displays "This computer is not connected to the server". I purchased the OEM package from the local CompUSA store and tried to reinstall using the Installation DVD, the System Builder DVD and even tried the Restore CD. Nothing works.

My WHS doesn't seem to boot from the DVD so nothing starts. I do have access to my shared folders, though. No back-ups though.

How do I get the OEM loaded so I can enter its Key and resume using my WHS?

TIA ... and yes I tried a search but nothing seemed to match my needs.

Tom

BTW, running W7Ultimate and WHS is an older Gateway DX100 with an upgraded processor and memory.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:06 PM

Answers

• I think on the Gateway machines pressing F10 on BIOS startup (before Windows Home Server starts Loading) will give you a boot menu where you can choose to boot from DVD - try pressing the F10 key at 1 second intervals until it comes up if you can't find the sweet point.   Also double check you have a DVD ROM drive and not a CD Drive - it's foxed me a couple of times before as they are the same size ;-)

--
    • Marked as answer by SoFlaGT Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:01 PM

All replies

My WHS doesn't seem to boot from the DVD so nothing starts.
    If your server won't boot from the installation DVD, you certainly won't be able to reinstall. Is your BIOS set to boot from the optical drive before the hard drive? Are you sure the optical drive still works?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I think on the Gateway machines pressing F10 on BIOS startup (before Windows Home Server starts Loading) will give you a boot menu where you can choose to boot from DVD - try pressing the F10 key at 1 second intervals until it comes up if you can't find the sweet point.   Also double check you have a DVD ROM drive and not a CD Drive - it's foxed me a couple of times before as they are the same size ;-)

--
    • Marked as answer by SoFlaGT Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Al and Ken ... a combo of the two worked and fixed the install.

Now on to the next issue!

Tom
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:28 PM