Is Dell PowerEdge T100/105 a good choose for MSHS RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to purchase new Dell PowerEdge T100 or T105 at price under $300 and use it for installing MS HomeServer. I have the MSHS software and just need a bare-bones server for it. Is it a good choose? My budget is only for $300.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 1:42 PM

All replies

• You will probably be able to install on the T105 (or T100), see this search for a few people who have done so...

A bigger question, though, is how technically skilled are you? You may find getting Windows Home Server to install is pretty challenging on that hardware, and if you don't have the technical skills to sort out the problems yourself, you're setting yourself up for a lot of frustration.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Thank you. Ken.
    If not Dell T105 or T100, do you have any other suggestion for a bare-bones server under $300 similar to the configuration of T105 (Dual Core AMD, 2GB Memory, 16X SATA DVD, 2 160GB SATA HD).  Thanks.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Have you considered the HP MediaSmart Server line? It costs more than a barebones server, but you get a well-sorted hardware and software package, and no worries about compatibility.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. But I just want to save some money since I already have the WHS software.  Thanks again.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. But I just want to save some money since I already have the WHS software.  Thanks again.
    I understand the desire to save money. But if you don't have strong technical skills, you may find that Windows Home Server turns into a time sink due to a lack of knowledge of how everything fits together. (I've certainly found it so at times. :) ) Windows Home Server is not designed for installation on hardware by end users; it's designed to be installed by "system builders" (people who build a number of semi-custom computers per year) and OEMs (like HP). You'll find that the help you can get in an online forum like this is very limited. We may be able to point you in the right direction, but you will have to solve almost every issue yourself, at least as far as implementing whatever needs to be changed.

Rhetorical question: How much do you enjoy solving problems with computers that don't work as they should?

Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:41 AM
  • I just set up a new Dell PE T100 as my WHS server in February.  While I am reasonably knowlegeable, I ran into no problems that required any special troubleshooting.
    My T100 has the Dual Core E2220 2.4 GHz processor, 2 GB ram, the standard on board SATA controller, and standard DVD drive.  I did upgrade the two standard 250 gig SATA drives to one 640 Gig and one 500 Gig WD drives.
    I installed the trial version of WHS from DVD burned from the downloaded image without a problem.
    The only drivers I needed to install were for the chipset and the network card.  That was done after WHS was installed and running. Both were provided on the Dell disc.
    After satisfying myself that the configuration would work for me I upgraded to the Full OEM version using the reinstall option, again without problem.
    The Dell furnished installation utility will not work with WHS, but you don"t need it.  WHS recognizes the SATA controller and all other hardware except for the builtin Broadcom network adapter.  And you don't need that for the basic install.
    The T100 is (or was at that time) a great deal.  With the exception of the larger capacity SATA drives, I could not purchase the components and build a similar box for the price they were asking.

Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:21 PM