Extending Music (or Videos) to a new drive RRS feed

• Question

• I know this must be an obvious, stupid question, but after several hours of searching for an answer, the best I've found is, in essence, "It is easy, just add it."  Here's the question:

The installer created a set of server folders on a D: drive during installation to a 500GB drive.  I would like to use a second physical drive (a 2TB drive) to store the bulk of my files.  I've tried the extremely vague instructions I've found, but nothing causes the server to recognize (or at least to share) files on the second physical drive.  I kinda expected the server to be set up with the standard, Windows 7-like libraries and I'd just add the extra Music drive/folder to the Music library and the extra Videos drive/folder to the Videos library.  That was too obvious and therefore doesn't work.  The dashboard seems to have no facility what-so-ever for adding more storage to existing folders, though it will show the new folders and the drive, but there's no way to identify the new folders as "Music" or "Videos" or "Pictures" which seems to be necessary for proper sharing with DLNA devices.

Hopefully, someone here can get me on the right path to extending these folders.

(Oh, I suppose I could create two partitions and mount them at folders within the existing Music and Videos folders, but then they cannot share space as needed and that seems TOO complex for typical home users.)

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:53 AM

Answers

• ...] but there's no way to identify the new folders as "Music" or "Videos" or "Pictures" which seems to be necessary for proper sharing with DLNA devices. 

Well, Actually there is.

From the Dashboard, click "Server settings" -> "Media" -> "Customize"....
    From there you can add/remove any shared follder to the Media Libray. Folders you select ("Yes") will show up in your DLNA devices.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:30 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• The dashboard seems to have no facility what-so-ever for adding more storage to existing folders, though it will show the new folders and the drive, but there's no way to identify the new folders as "Music" or "Videos" or "Pictures" which seems to be necessary for proper sharing with DLNA devices.

You can't do what you are trying to do, but in the Dashboard (Server Folders and Hard Drives, Server Folders) you can change the location of your "Music" folder to your 2TB drive - select the folder you want to move and in the right hand panel select "Move the folder".
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 1:47 AM
  • You can't do what you are trying to do, but in the Dashboard (Server Folders and Hard Drives, Server Folders) you can change the location of your "Music" folder to your 2TB drive - select the folder you want to move and in the right hand panel select "Move the folder".

Wow.  A non-extendable media server.  That was so beyond imagining that it never occurred to me to even ASK about before bothering with the thing.  Just wow.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Wow, that's some music collection that requires more than 2TB storage! Not to worry, just add another 2TB disk and create a "Music1" folder when it's full. I assume you have read the online WHS 2011 documentation?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:03 AM
  • ...] but there's no way to identify the new folders as "Music" or "Videos" or "Pictures" which seems to be necessary for proper sharing with DLNA devices. 

Well, Actually there is.

From the Dashboard, click "Server settings" -> "Media" -> "Customize"....
    From there you can add/remove any shared follder to the Media Libray. Folders you select ("Yes") will show up in your DLNA devices.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:30 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Wow, that's some music collection that requires more than 2TB storage!

Just a note here: true "lossless" formats for audio run about 40% to 60% of the original .wav file. So if you're using e.g. Apple Lossless 2 TB will hold somewhere around 3000 Red Book CDs worth of audio tracks. 3,000 CDs = around 30,000 tracks, give or take. heck, I have almost that many CDs, though most of them haven't been ripped. (I also have a rider on my homeowner's insurance for my music collection. Go ahead, figure out what it would cost to replace 3,000 CDs. Then pick your jaw up off the floor...)

However, you might also note that the OP was talking about a 500 GB system drive and a 2 TB secondary storage drive, and more than one type of media. Video adds up fast; if you have a lot of high quality HD video you're looking at multiple GB per file, and may only be able to fit a few hundred files on a 2 TB drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:29 PM
  • So if you're using e.g. Apple Lossless 2 TB will hold somewhere around 3000 Red Book CDs worth of audio tracks. 3,000 CDs = around 30,000 tracks, give or take. heck, I have almost that many CDs,

Then you have an almost equally impressive music collection. Personally I am beginning to move towards high resolution music (24-bit, (96/192 kHz) at over 1GB per disk.

PS My comment was in the same tone as the OP's response.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:52 PM