MagicJack Addin? RRS feed

• Question

• I was successful in setting up the magicjack VOIP device as a service on my network. I wonder, Is it possible to create an addin that will allow one to view the Magicjack softphone console and assist with updates, ugrades and settings? How hard would this be for someone who never wrote anything more than a basic webpage? The Idea came to me when I read over my serivces list and noted that @whstweet was installed as a service with no registry editing. Running MagicJack as a service envolves cuttting and pasting folders, a lil bit of registry key playing,  and several trinity prayers before it works. Oh yeah and a reboot too.

I love that I am now able to make calls after a reboot, without having to remote in and start the magicjack.exe file. Also with WHS set to update on its own, I see that the system can reboot itself a few times a week, sometimes even more often. But another thing is that I find I like to monitor the softphone at my own discretion, when I want to see who my son is calling or receiving calls from. An add in for the magicjack would be perfect. The magicjack itself the best phone investment I have made in a long time.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:51 PM

All replies

• The best place to get an add-in, or support for creating an add-in, for MagicJack would be the vendor. To create your own, you would need documentation for the MagicJack API (which may be proprietary, I don't know). Conceptually the structure of an add-in would probably be to split functionality up so that you have a service component (the MagicJack software). Then you would have a Windows Home Server add-in that communicates with that service to configure it (through the Settings tab) and to report status information (through a custom tab for MagicJack). Finally you might also have a component that would install on local computers if you needed more interaction than is possible through the console.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:36 PM