1.6 to 2.0 Update RRS feed

• Question

• When version 2.0 of OneCare gets released will it be forcably installed for users with 1.6?  The reason I ask is that I purchased a couple of subscriptions for 1.6 to do backups as well as system protection.

With the changes in backup in 2.0 I will no longer be in a position to use OneCare on my development machines (they need to back up source code and exe files).  If the upgrade is forced I will have to uninstall OneCare and use another solution. 

My question is will I be entitled to a refund in that case?

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:01 AM

Answers

• Yes, all 1.6 users will be updated to 2.0 once it is released, except where there is a problem preventing the update from happening, of course.

I can't answer the refund question, but my guess is no, if it is an older subscription.

*PLEASE* file a detailed bug report on Connect regarding your need to backup exe as a file type. While there is no guarantee that this will be considered, in the many discussions about backup changes, very few people could provide compelling reasons for why they were upset by the changes in backup.

-steve

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:37 PM

All replies

• Yes, all 1.6 users will be updated to 2.0 once it is released, except where there is a problem preventing the update from happening, of course.

I can't answer the refund question, but my guess is no, if it is an older subscription.

*PLEASE* file a detailed bug report on Connect regarding your need to backup exe as a file type. While there is no guarantee that this will be considered, in the many discussions about backup changes, very few people could provide compelling reasons for why they were upset by the changes in backup.

-steve

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:37 PM
  • This is not related to the source code/exe question above, but is related to the update from 1.6 to 2.0, and so it is placed here.

I know the update will be automated, but if possible can we have notice on the forums when updates begin to roll out, so that we may have an approximate time frame as to when to expect the update to occur?

Also, could we be informed as to when 2.0 will be available from the main OC homepage, so that if we get "antsy" for the update we could download it from there if we like?

Monday, November 5, 2007 9:40 PM
  • I imagine that there will be announcements here when it happens. If the sequence of events for 2.0 is like it was for 1.5, the trial download at http://onecare.live.com will be switched to 2.0 before the updates are rolling out.

-steve

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Um, I've just discovered something.  I submitted a bug on this issue (ID 308748) and then re-read the list of file typed backed up.  Some important ones that are missing are :

.TXT - text files???

.ZIP - why are these not included?

.RAR

.ISO

.CAB

.PSP - Paint Shop Pro files, that's an evil thing to do.

.DB, .HTML, .TXT, .DAT - the file types used by Mozilla Thunderbird to store its mail.  So, if you back up mail, you ONLY get Microsoft's Email solutions covered.

.HTML - bookmarks files from Mozilla

It seems that the only things that OneCare actually DOES back up are Microsoft products.  If you're unlucky enough to be running anything else on your PC then it seems like you're going to be pretty screwed when this update hits.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:47 AM
  •  DaveWhite.Net wrote:

Um, I've just discovered something.  I submitted a bug on this issue (ID 308748) and then re-read the list of file typed backed up.  Some important ones that are missing are :

.TXT - text files???

.ZIP - why are these not included?

.RAR

.ISO

.CAB

.PSP - Paint Shop Pro files, that's an evil thing to do.

.DB, .HTML, .TXT, .DAT - the file types used by Mozilla Thunderbird to store its mail.  So, if you back up mail, you ONLY get Microsoft's Email solutions covered.

.HTML - bookmarks files from Mozilla

It seems that the only things that OneCare actually DOES back up are Microsoft products.  If you're unlucky enough to be running anything else on your PC then it seems like you're going to be pretty screwed when this update hits.

I'm not sure that the above list are file types not backed up. Looking at OneCare help, it appears that the only files not backed up besides those called System files (whatever that means beyond exe, dll, and the like) are these:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • SYS
    • TMP

There is a mysterious entry in the list of backed up file types called Other that doesn't specify what these "other" files might be. As long as the files are not located within the \Windows or \Program Files folders, I suspect that the types that you list may be backed up, but I'll try to get a clarification.

-steve

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Any files can be backed up by manualy selecting and not backed up by manualy unselecting using the method boots detailed in http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2372411&SiteID=2 

When I first got the automatic update from beta v1.? to beta v2.0 I initialy thought that I couldn't select or deselect files because the UI (user interface) wasn't the same as v1.?.  All the same options are there plus more.  Nothing was taken away.  The new look and feel through me for an endless loop, no pun intended.

If certain files aren't being backed up, it is most likely because you chose to not back them up, then later you went through the transition of beta v1.? to beta v2.0.  v2.0 keeps the settings from v1.?!  I initialy thought the same thing, but it was because I didn't explore the new UI.

Hope you keep WLOC after the public release.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 5:03 AM
  • You are right, my bad! The "Other files" section takes care of pretty much everything else except for the following list :

• BAK
    • CFG
    • COM
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • INI
    • SYS
    • TMP

It unfortunately doesn't solve my problem, which is that my work cannot be backed up.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 10:09 AM
  •  DaveWhite.Net wrote:

You are right, my bad! The "Other files" section takes care of pretty much everything else except for the following list :

• BAK
    • CFG
    • COM
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • INI
    • SYS
    • TMP

It unfortunately doesn't solve my problem, which is that my work cannot be backed up.

Thanks for confirming. And, actually, your thread has prompted some changes to the Help text moving forward to clarify and correct some information, so thanks.

As for your original issue with the work files not being backed up, could you not simply copy the folder or folders containing your work to an external device or to a LAN location manually in addition to using the OneCare backup for the rest of your files?

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:51 AM