applying status update to projects in bulk RRS feed

• Question

• In our business Project Managers often oversee 5-10 similar projects, in which not much changes for weeks on end (research-type development) - the project could be waiting for a supplier who is on the critical path for example, or we are waiting for a customer to come back with a reply on a critical choice to be made.

For this it would be great if we could add these projects to a master project and run the status update for say 5-10 projects from the master project as if it were one project with the same outcome as updating each project separately.

Is this doable, and will it update successfully through all say 5-10 projects from the master project.

We use Project Server 2007 and our projects typically hold 20-30 tasks and 2-8 staff.

A consolidating Texas Tonie

Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hey TT,

What you're outlining should definitely work.  I think before you do it live I'd just create 3 quick test projects with one being the master and 2 being subs.  Create two tasks in each of the sub projects with current date and 0% complete.  Load them into the master plan, do what you outlined above setting all tasks to 100% complete based on start date and make sure it works.  If it does then you should be fine......BUT....before you do it to your 6 other projects that are live I would definitely save them off to your desktop on the odd chance that you run into problems. 

Even if you ran into problems in the full test as long as you don't save or publish anything you should be fine so saving the plans off is a little overkill but you can never be too safe.

Don

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hey Tonie,

I'd say the answer is yes you can allocate them all under one master plan really easy.  The question I would have is what type of status update are you doing?  Once all these plans are under the master, the master acts as a plan in itself and will tag all the other projects as subprojects. 

If there are some reporting or dashboard needs on these you can always create a task level custom field to tag items you'd like to see in a custom view.

Don.

Donald R. Landry
    Monday, November 15, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Hi Donald,

Thank you for your reply. what I envision is for the Project Manager to

• create say 6 projects as we do now  -save, publish and close each one
    • create a master project and include the 6 projects as sub-projects, save, publish and close
    • open the master project a week later
    • update the status date under Project/project information
    • run the status update under Tools/tracking/update project/re-schedule uncompleted work
    • edit the remaining work column and remaining duration column in a custom task usage view
    • save + publish the master project

would this leave me with 6 updated projects - if so that is what I am after.

Texas Tonie

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Hey TT,

What you're outlining should definitely work.  I think before you do it live I'd just create 3 quick test projects with one being the master and 2 being subs.  Create two tasks in each of the sub projects with current date and 0% complete.  Load them into the master plan, do what you outlined above setting all tasks to 100% complete based on start date and make sure it works.  If it does then you should be fine......BUT....before you do it to your 6 other projects that are live I would definitely save them off to your desktop on the odd chance that you run into problems. 

Even if you ran into problems in the full test as long as you don't save or publish anything you should be fine so saving the plans off is a little overkill but you can never be too safe.

Don

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:07 PM