Up and Running, WHS = Amazing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Finally received all the pieces in the mail from NewEgg, and got the box built last night.  Everything couldn't have gone better. (I'll post pics later)  

WHS software installation went in easier than any Windows installation I've done in the past few years, and I ran into no hiccups whatsoever.  

One question though:  my WHS software came as an OEM system builder version.  I got the normal install discs (all three) and one additional called a OEM system builder kit.  What is this used for?

Thanks to everyone for answering all of my questions in any of my previous posts about WHS!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:43 PM

Answers

•  Mason_721 wrote:

When I remote into the WHS, and I go to hit the "Connect to Home Server" button to login to the console, it times out.  why does this happen, and how can I fix it.

this may have various reasons, not all under your control.

Port forwarding is active for all necessary ports on the router (pointing to the proper IP address) and the ISP is not blocking the ports, especially 4125? (And also no corporate firewall on your current location ...)

All related ports are open for Internet computers in the Windows Firewall on your home server?

The Terminal Services Add on in Internet Explorer is enabled and not blocked by any local security software on your PC?

You may also want to check this guide:

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/10516/Troubleshooting-Remote-Access-for-your-MediaSmart-or-Windows-Home-Server/

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:48 PM
  • The OEM Preinstall kit contains documentation that tells OEMs and system builders how to prep a Windows Home Server image for duplication and how to customize it. It includes instructions describing how to set up a server recovery disk. There's little in it that the enthusiast "system builder" really needs.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:02 PM

All replies

• found one glitch.....

When I remote into the WHS, and I go to hit the "Connect to Home Server" button to login to the console, it times out.  why does this happen, and how can I fix it.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:22 PM
  •  Mason_721 wrote:

this may have various reasons, not all under your control.

Port forwarding is active for all necessary ports on the router (pointing to the proper IP address) and the ISP is not blocking the ports, especially 4125? (And also no corporate firewall on your current location ...)

All related ports are open for Internet computers in the Windows Firewall on your home server?

The Terminal Services Add on in Internet Explorer is enabled and not blocked by any local security software on your PC?

You may also want to check this guide:

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/10516/Troubleshooting-Remote-Access-for-your-MediaSmart-or-Windows-Home-Server/

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:48 PM
  • that may be what is happening.  I am currently at work, and they may be blocking access to it, the ports or terminal services.  I'll have to try it from a non-work location later today.

Thanks Olaf!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:53 PM
  • The OEM Preinstall kit contains documentation that tells OEMs and system builders how to prep a Windows Home Server image for duplication and how to customize it. It includes instructions describing how to set up a server recovery disk. There's little in it that the enthusiast "system builder" really needs.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:02 PM