Connector software on x64 not available? RRS feed

• Question

• I have my Home Server all set up and was starting to get users created etc.. then I ran into a problem.

The Home Server connector software will not install on any x64 OS.  This, IMO, is a big issue. x64 is getting pretty common now days. In fact, I have 6 PCs up at the house and they are all x64 (XP and Vista).

Is there a client available for x64?  If not, when will there be one?

Friday, June 15, 2007 11:33 PM

Answers

• There currently is not a 64 bit connector, but we are working on one, and we can not give any other information than that at this time.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 11:44 PM

All replies

• There currently is not a 64 bit connector, but we are working on one, and we can not give any other information than that at this time.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 11:44 PM
  • 6 computers?
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:17 AM
  •  

So, I have an evaluation copy of this software that I'm running to evaluate it.  Before even installing it, I had every intention of buying it after the evaluation time period had ended.  But since it DOESN"T SUPPORT x64 SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENTS at this time, I have already uninstalled it.  I have a complicated home network of 8 workstations and a media center extender of which relatively half are full 64 bit.  In fact the only computer that I can run this on is a dinosaur XP machine that was originally purchased around the time Service Pack One came out (I think I was still in high school).  I dropped roughly $500 making a quad-core 2tb NAS-server to load this on, and now I'll have to go another route, possibly even a third party or even Linux route.  I also had plans over the summer to build several more of these boxes with licensed software as an easy home network solution for a few of my peers and family.  Those plans are also scrapped as THEY ALL HAVE 64 BIT MACHINES.  I would say that there is enough of a need to get the 64 bit compatible version out as quick as possible, because the type of people that are going to have the most need for a home server are the same type of people that have monster 64 bit workstations at their home.  This is demonstrated by the numerous threads and posts of people here complaining about it, and asking when it is expected. There is a definite immediate need for it.  64 bit compatibility is actually more important to me than data integrity, and I think maybe the priorities need to be rearranged.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:21 AM