Unable to initialize UI subsystem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the seemingly typical "Unable to initialize UI subsystem" error during WHS installation. I've seen this been mentioned several times in this forum, but mostly with beta/rc and with self burned installation media. This is not relevant in my case. WHS version is the final and provided by MS.

The installation DVD is the real MS OEM disc, arrived few days ago. My hardware consists of Intel DP35DPM motherboard & E2140 low-end C2D processor. 2 GB of RAM, integrated graphics (during installation that is) and a bunch of SATA hard drives as plain drives, no RAID or JBOD configuration or anything. Hard drives are formatted to NTFS and do contain some unneeded data, but I know WHS will clean everything. Microsoft wireless USB keyboard & mouse set is attached. DVD drive is a plain LG DVD-ROM PATA drive and has been working ok this far.

I updated the mb bios to the latest version and checked that the bios settings are normal to my eye. But, unable to initialize UE subsystem error is what I get. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:19 AM

Answers

• Steps I would try:

1. use wired mouse and keyboard

2. install using only one drive (the largest), add other drives after install

3. try another (new) dvd drive

4. set drives to ide mode in BIOS

5. set bios setting to default

6. if all of these fail ask for replacement install media from your supplier

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:02 AM

All replies

• Steps I would try:

1. use wired mouse and keyboard

2. install using only one drive (the largest), add other drives after install

3. try another (new) dvd drive

4. set drives to ide mode in BIOS

5. set bios setting to default

6. if all of these fail ask for replacement install media from your supplier

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:02 AM
  • Solved. Thank you brubber!

I switched hardware one by one in order listed by you, and it really was the new dvd drive that actually made it work. The original DVD Rom was a LITE-ON SHD-16P1S (Oct 2006). Didn't work. Next one was LG GSA-4040B (July 2003), Didn't work. Now the third one is a new Samsung SH-S203, and it works. Only the Samsung is S-ATA, the earlier ones are P-ATA. Wonder if it's that which makes the difference.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:34 PM
  • Do you know if this motherboard can be run without a graphics card. I brought it to replace the motherboard in my WHS server, but I don't have a graphics card to put in it. Was going to use the one from my desktop then remove it after reinstalling WHS.

Cheers.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:56 AM