Installing WHS and adding new Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I bought OEM WHS software-and want to install on old machine --which software disk first-theoretically the WHS software -but in getting started guide it said to start with connector software. Can I install by putting the disk in my DVD(old data on old drive -dont care if its lost) -or do I change BIOS to boot from DVD??Going to add new drives later-1-2 weeks,I know data will be lost-again do I just install  WHS software  on bare  drive  from DVD??-Last question--after installing  WHS software on old or new drives  --Do I  also install Connector  software  on  server machine-or just on  other netrworked machines??thanks in advance for your advise--dick schmidt lahaina hi
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:34 PM

Answers

•  rxman5 wrote:
    I bought OEM WHS software-and want to install on old machine --which software disk first-theoretically the WHS software -but in getting started guide it said to start with connector software.

You start with the WHS installation DVD.

rxman5 wrote:
    Can I install by putting the disk in my DVD(old data on old drive -dont care if its lost) -or do I change BIOS to boot from DVD??

You must boot from the DVD.  Once you start the installation, all of the hard drives hooked up will be formatted.

rxman5 wrote:
    Going to add new drives later-1-2 weeks,I know data will be lost-again do I just install  WHS software  on bare  drive  from DVD??

No, you won't lose data at that point.  Just add the drives to the storage pool to expand storage.

rxman5 wrote:
    Last question--after installing  WHS software on old or new drives  --Do I  also install Connector  software  on  server machine-or just on  other netrworked machines??

You install the connector software on client PCs, not the server.

rxman5 wrote:
    thanks in advance for your advise--dick schmidt lahaina hi

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Put the WHS DVD in the drive of the box you want to use, set the BIOS to boot from DVD and restart the machine. All the data on there will be lost.

The connector software is used by the client machines to connect to your WHS, so don't install on your server, but please note that there is an updated version which you should use once install has completed and done some updates.

From the client machines, browse the network to \\server\software and you'll see that there is a folder for the connector software - this will always have the latest version.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Insert the Installation DVD into the machine intended to be your home server and boot to the DVD. This will begin the installation process. It is reccommended to install with the largest drive as your first drive. Allow Windows Home Server to finish the installation and then let the home server install all available critical updates from Windows Update - this will include Internet Explorer 7. You can choose not to install IE7. Once all critical updates have been installed, (optional updates are not necessary) you can then install the Connecter software - do this from the \\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software\ share (setup.exe) - do not install the Connector from the included CD after the server has been updated, the Connector software version has changed during one of the updates.

The Connector software is only installed on your other home computers, not on your home server.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:48 PM

All replies

•  rxman5 wrote:
    I bought OEM WHS software-and want to install on old machine --which software disk first-theoretically the WHS software -but in getting started guide it said to start with connector software.

You start with the WHS installation DVD.

rxman5 wrote:
    Can I install by putting the disk in my DVD(old data on old drive -dont care if its lost) -or do I change BIOS to boot from DVD??

You must boot from the DVD.  Once you start the installation, all of the hard drives hooked up will be formatted.

rxman5 wrote:
    Going to add new drives later-1-2 weeks,I know data will be lost-again do I just install  WHS software  on bare  drive  from DVD??

No, you won't lose data at that point.  Just add the drives to the storage pool to expand storage.

rxman5 wrote:
    Last question--after installing  WHS software on old or new drives  --Do I  also install Connector  software  on  server machine-or just on  other netrworked machines??

You install the connector software on client PCs, not the server.

rxman5 wrote:
    thanks in advance for your advise--dick schmidt lahaina hi

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Put the WHS DVD in the drive of the box you want to use, set the BIOS to boot from DVD and restart the machine. All the data on there will be lost.

The connector software is used by the client machines to connect to your WHS, so don't install on your server, but please note that there is an updated version which you should use once install has completed and done some updates.

From the client machines, browse the network to \\server\software and you'll see that there is a folder for the connector software - this will always have the latest version.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Insert the Installation DVD into the machine intended to be your home server and boot to the DVD. This will begin the installation process. It is reccommended to install with the largest drive as your first drive. Allow Windows Home Server to finish the installation and then let the home server install all available critical updates from Windows Update - this will include Internet Explorer 7. You can choose not to install IE7. Once all critical updates have been installed, (optional updates are not necessary) you can then install the Connecter software - do this from the \\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software\ share (setup.exe) - do not install the Connector from the included CD after the server has been updated, the Connector software version has changed during one of the updates.

The Connector software is only installed on your other home computers, not on your home server.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Thanks Marc-good info
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Thanks--I will do just that
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Thanks Kariya--lots of good info
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:13 PM